UN recommends transfer of $100 mn fund for Iraq developmentMarch 21st, 2008 - 1:15 pm ICT by admin
United Nations, March 21 (Xinhua) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has asked the Security Council to transfer $100 million from the UN Iraq Account to the Development Fund of Iraq to initiate development activities in the country. The UN Iraq Account is made up of funds related to the expired oil-for-food programme.
The oil-for-food programme, under which a sanctions-bound Iraq was allowed to use monitored oil sales revenue for humanitarian purchases, was phased out in 2003 under a council resolution lifting sanctions on the country.
The Development Fund of Iraq, which will receive the funds, was set up that same year to administer proceeds from export sales of petroleum, petroleum products, and natural gas.
In a letter to the Security Council, the secretary-general also provided an update on the Iraq Account and the processing of the outstanding letters of credit, a UN spokesperson said Thursday.
Ban said as of Feb 29, the Iraq Account has over $1 billion, of which $225 million was being held in the account pending resolution of various issues.
He recommended that $187 million continue to be held as a financial reserve.
- Nine Kuwaiti claimants get $590 mn over Iraq invasion - Apr 30, 2010
- Iran should cooperate with IAEA : UN chief - Feb 18, 2012
- UN ready to remove 19 Indian vendors from blacklist - Feb 22, 2011
- UN chief stresses diplomacy to solve Iran N-standoff - Nov 11, 2011
- Departing UN official calls Ban's leadership 'deplorable' - Jul 20, 2010
- UN chief condemns rocket attack on Israel - Nov 30, 2011
- UN chief for protecting civilians caught in war - Nov 10, 2011
- Palestine applies for UN recognition - Sep 24, 2011
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- Russia criticises UN chief's defence of Libya action - Dec 23, 2011
- Ban Ki-moon welcomes resolution to send observers to Syria (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Oil-for-food scam: Court rejects Natwar Singh's plea (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Eliasson sworn in as deputy UN chief - Jul 03, 2012
- UN appoints special representative for Libya - Sep 20, 2011
- Governments urged to ensure journalists' security - Jul 06, 2012