28 years after taking bribe, engineer gets two-year jailJuly 24th, 2008 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) Nearly three decades after an engineer took a bribe of Rs.700 from a restaurant owner, the Delhi High Court Thursday awarded him two years in jail for the crime. Justice S. Muralidhar upheld the order of a trial court sentencing S.S. Bedi to two years imprisonment.
Bedi was an assistant engineer in the enforcement department of the erstwhile Delhi Electricity Supply Undertaking (DESU) when he was caught red-handed by the Anti-Corruption Branch.
On June 26, 1980, he was caught in Connaught Place area accepting a bribe of Rs.400 from a restaurant owner in Kirti Nagar who had illegally installed an air conditioner.
Bedi had initially demanded Rs.1,000 to settle the matter but bargained it to Rs.700. He had been paid Rs.300 three days earlier.
The trial court in Dec 1983 awarded two years imprisonment, which he challenged in the high court, which took 25 years to settle the case.
- Monica Bedi's conviction upheld, sentence reduced - Nov 09, 2010
- Income Tax official gets 4 years jail for bribery - Feb 01, 2012
- Two revenue officials get two years jail for corruption - Feb 25, 2012
- Jail, 100 times bribe fine for two policemen - Feb 24, 2012
- 15-day parole to police official in 1997 Connaught Place killing - Jun 15, 2011
- CP shootout case: apex court confirms cop's life sentence - May 02, 2011
- Binayak Sen case: Apex Court issues notice to Chhattisgarh - Mar 11, 2011
- Actress Monica Bedi's conviction upheld, sentence cut (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Court notice for more relief for shootout victim's kin (Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- Court upholds MCD official's jail term for graft - Apr 14, 2011
- Former Delhi judge awarded 3-year jail for graft - Apr 28, 2012
- Two provident fund officials arrested for graft - Oct 05, 2011
- Delhi staged shootout: Rs.15 lakh each for two victims' kin - Jul 04, 2011
- Cop, engineers, accountant caught taking bribes - Jul 21, 2012
- Karnataka BJP legislator jailed in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012