28 killed in twin Nepal accidentsMay 4th, 2011 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 4 (IANS) Sixteen people died in a bus smash in western Nepal Wednesday and several more survivors were grappling with death just hours after another crash in eastern Nepal killed 12 more passengers.
Police said a night bus carrying nearly 50 people fell off the mountainous road in Doti district barrelling down almost 300 metres below, killing 14 people on the spot. Two more succumbed to their injuries in Doti hospital while 22 people were fighting for their lives, with many of them in critical condition.
The driver could have fallen asleep while behind the wheel, an initial media report said, though it was not immediately confirmed by the authorities.
The mishap came a day after 12 people died in another bus accident in Sindhuli district.
Bad roads, rash driving and poorly maintained vehicles are the major causes of road accidents in Nepal that has one of the highest fatality records in Asia.
Western governments in their travel advisories especially advise against undertaking journeys by buses that travel through night as overworked drivers often fall asleep while driving or drive while under the influence of alcohol.
- 15 killed in Afghanistan road accident - Nov 12, 2011
- 42 killed in Nepal bus accident - Oct 13, 2011
- Four killed in Rajasthan bus accident - Apr 28, 2012
- 15 dead in Uttar Pradesh road mishap - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan: Seven passengers die after bus driver falls asleep - Apr 12, 2012
- 13 killed in Mizoram, Tripura accidents - Mar 27, 2011
- Five killed, 20 injured in Rajasthan - Apr 13, 2012
- 35 killed in bus accident in Nepal - Jul 15, 2012
- One killed, 12 students injured in UP road mishaps - May 03, 2012
- Thirteen die after bus overturns in eastern Zimbabwe - Aug 03, 2011
- Search for survivors as 16 die in Nepal bus accident (Lead) - Nov 08, 2009
- 16 dead in Nepal bus accident - Nov 08, 2009
- Two woman cops, three others killed in Rajasthan accidents - Jun 17, 2012
- Road accidents spiral in Bihar, kill 1,500 - May 04, 2012
- Nepal cholera toll rises to 12 - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: alcohol, asia, authorities, bus accident, buses, causes of road accidents, crash, critical condition, eastern nepal, fatality, journeys, mishap, night bus, rash, survivors, travel advisories, western governments, western nepal, wheel