28 captured Somali pirates to be tried in MumbaiFebruary 8th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 8 (IANS) A gang of 28 Somali pirates, nabbed three days ago near the Lakshadweep Islands off south-west India, will be handed over to Mumbai police here Wednesday to be prosecuted under Indian laws, officials said here Tuesday.The pirates were nabbed in a joint anti-piracy operation by the Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard on the high seas Saturday.
After a gun battle with the pirates, the ICG ship ‘Samar’ also rescued 24 fishermen held hostages by them in the hijacked fishing trawler Prantalaya-11.
The trawler, one among the Prantalay series which have been hijacked in the past few months, was used as the pirates’ mother vessel to carry out attacks on merchant ships in that area, using high speed skiffs.
The pirates were first taken to Kochi and will now face the Indian courts in Mumbai.
They are scheduled to be handed over to the Yellow Gate police station for investigations.
Meanwhile, 15 pirates who were brought here Jan 31 after capture in the same area, were sent to judicial custody by a Mumbai court here.
They have been slapped with charges of rioting, using weapons and attempt to murder on the high seas.
A group of 20-odd fishermen, rescued during the previous operation from a trawler of Prantalay series, is in the process of going back home in cooperation with the Thai and Myanmarese authorities.
- Indian Navy, Coast Guard foil another piracy attempt (Lead) - Feb 06, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Apprehended pirates to be interrogated in Mumbai - Jan 30, 2011
- Navy, coast guard ships sink pirate mother-vessel - Jan 29, 2011
- Another menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Feb 06, 2011
- Somali pirates operating close to Indian shores a disturbing trend: Navy Chief - Jan 31, 2011
- Menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian Navy captures 28 Somali pirates near Lakshadweep islands - Feb 07, 2011
- Indian Navy, Coast Guard apprehend pirate ship - Feb 06, 2011
- Larger deployment of forces will prevent pirate attacks: Navy Chief - Jan 31, 2011
- Captured pirates to be tried under Indian laws - Jan 31, 2011
- Another piracy attempt foiled, 16 pirates held - Mar 27, 2011
- Captured Somali pirates brought to Mumbai - Feb 10, 2011
- Combating piracy is top most priority of Indian Navy, Coast Guard: Antony - Feb 07, 2011
- Coast Guard plane chases pirates away off Lakshadweep - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: anti piracy, coast guard, cooperation, fishermen, fishing trawler, gun battle, high seas, hostages, indian courts, indian navy, investigations, judicial custody, lakshadweep islands, merchant ships, mumbai court, police station, samar, skiffs, somali pirates, west india