27/30: Bihar’s Super 30 shines again in IIT-JEE resultsMay 18th, 2012 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 18 (IANS) In another big score, 27 of the 30 students from Bihar’s Super 30, a free coaching centre for underprivileged students, have cracked the highly competitive Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) this year, its director said Friday.
“It is again good news that this year, 27 out of the 30 students made it to the IIT-JEE… it has underlined how with proper opportunity, students from poor families can also reach the prestigious IIT,” Super 30’s founder-director Anand Kumar told IANS.
The successful candidates include the wards of a truck mechanic, a farmer, a daily-wage labourer and vendors.
“All of them have managed to successfully chase their IIT-JEE dreams at Super 30 with their commitment and hard work,” he said.
Last year, 24 students of the institute had cleared the IIT-JEE.
Super 30, which helps economically backward students crack the IIT-JEE, was selected by Time magazine in the list of The Best of Asia 2010.
Students from poor families have to pass a competitive test to get into Super 30 and then commit themselves to a year of 16 hours a day study routine. Coaching, food and accommodation are free for the students. Anand Kumar said the institute is supported by income generated from his Ramanujam School of Mathematics, which has students who can afford to pay fees.
In 2003, the first year of the institute, 18 students made it to IITs. In 2008, for the first time, all 30 students of the centre cracked the exam, a feat which was repeated in 2009 and 2010.
The results of IIT-JEE 2012, which was held April 8, were announced Friday morning.
- 24 of Bihar's Super 30 crack IIT-JEE this year - May 25, 2011
- Basu plans film on Bihar's 'Super 30' - Sep 18, 2012
- Super 30's IIT-JEE success story brings joy again - May 18, 2012
- Bihar's Super 30 coaching idea wins high praise in Canada - Feb 21, 2012
- IIT exam panel behind poor student quality: Super 30 founder - Oct 05, 2011
- Hat trick for Bihar's Super 30, all students crack IIT - May 26, 2010
- Bihar's Super 30 features in Canadian newspaper - Jul 24, 2011
- Super 30 founder is Europe magazine's global personality - Apr 20, 2011
- Give poor students 3 IIT-JEE chances, says Super 30 founder - Jun 09, 2010
- After Japan, Bihar's 'Super 30' now wows South Korea - Jun 11, 2012
- 12-year-old Bihar boy clears Class 12 after cracking IIT-JEE - May 29, 2012
- Bihar's Super 30 in Newsweek list of 4 most innovative schools - Sep 18, 2010
- From Punjab to Bihar to IIT, three 'super' stories - May 29, 2011
- Bihar honours Super 30 founder with top award - Nov 10, 2010
- IIT Council's decision hasty: Super 30 founder - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: accommodation, best of asia, coaching centre, dreams, entrance examination, founder director, friday morning, indian institute of technology, institute of technology, jee results, labourer, poor families, school of mathematics, score, time magazine, truck mechanic, underprivileged students, wards