27,000 evacuated as Nock-Ten storm hits ChinaJuly 29th, 2011 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 29 (IANS) Over 27,000 people were Friday evacuated from a south China province as tropical storm Nock-Ten hit the coastal region, officials said.
Nock-Ten hit the southern island province of Hainan late Friday afternoon, Xinhua reported.
The tropical storm brought strong winds with speeds of up to 28 metres per second, along with heavy rains and reduced visibility, the meteorological centre said.
An official said people were evacuated from coastal fish farms, fishing boats, makeshift houses as well as from low-lying region.
Over 2,600 fishing boats have all returned to ports, he said.
Authorities were releasing water from major reservoirs as the water levels rose amid heavy rains.
Downpours brought by the storm have halted shipping services as well as railway services across a few regions.
In addition, 48 flights were cancelled at the Haikou Meilan International Airport.
At least 31 people died in the Philippines as a result of the storm.
- 75,000 evacuated as Nock-Ten storm hits China (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- 300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south China - Sep 29, 2011
- 25 killed as tropical storm hits Philippines - Jul 27, 2011
- Typhoon Kai-Tak causes havoc in China (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- 190,000 evacuated as storm hits China - Jul 30, 2011
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- Another plane overshoots runway in China - Aug 27, 2010
- 130,000 evacuated in China floods - Oct 07, 2010
- Cyclone hits northern Australia - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: china beijing, china province, coastal fish, coastal region, fish farms, fishing boats, friday afternoon, haikou, heavy rains, meteorological centre, nock ten, railway services, reservoirs, shipping services, south china, southern island province, strong winds, tropical storm, water levels, xinhua