27 policemen suspended for extortionMay 22nd, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 22 (IANS) As many as 27 policemen in Uttar Pradesh’s Fatehpur district have been suspended from service after being found guilty of extorting money, a police official said Friday.
“Six sub-inspectors and 21 constables were suspended after an inquiry found them guilty of extorting money from contractors, businessmen and shopkeepers,” Additional Superintendent of Police Mata Prasad told IANS on phone.
He said the inquiry had been initiated two weeks ago after receiving complaints against the policemen from the public. As the charges against the 27 policemen were found true, they were suspended Thursday night after seeking approval of the Inspector General of Police, Allahabad Zone, he added.
The 27 policemen are from various police stations and outposts in Fatehpur district, about 150 km from Lucknow.
Mata Prasad said further action would also be taken against the policemen and cases would also be registered against them.
- Policemen arrested for extortion - Nov 02, 2011
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Four Uttar Pradesh cops suspended - Sep 30, 2011
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Staged shootout: Charges framed against Rajasthan IPS officer - May 01, 2012
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Murder case against six Uttar Pradesh cops - Jul 30, 2010
- Four cops suspended after sting operation - Jun 02, 2010
- Three cops killed as truck rams into police station - Jun 16, 2012
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- CP shootout case: Supreme Court upholds life sentence for 10 policemen - May 02, 2011
- UP girl's murder confirmed; 11 cops, three doctors suspended (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- 3 policemen suspended for NRI chef's custodial death - Jan 25, 2011
- Book four cops for filing false case: Court - Sep 13, 2011