27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeastJuly 21st, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Aizawl/Guwahati, July 21 (IANS) At least 27 people were killed and 21 others injured in road accidents in three northeastern states - Mizoram, Assam and Manipur, officials said Saturday.
At least 18 people were killed and 17 others injured when an overloaded bus carrying them fell into a gorge in Mizoram early Saturday. The accident occurred when the bus crashed into the debris of a landslide near Keifang village, about 80 km from Aizawl city, and then toppled off the road.
“Seventeen people died on the spot and one injured person succumbed to injuries while being taken to a hospital. All the injured people have been shifted to the Aizawl Civil Hospital for treatment. The condition of seven of them is critical,” a Mizoram official told reporters.
The bodies of the victims have been recovered.
The ill-fated bus left Aizawl late Friday night for Champai in mountainous eastern Mizoram and fell into a 100-metre-deep gorge in a narrow valley after ramming into the debris. The landslides was caused following incessant rains during the past few days.
In Assam, five people were killed and two injured when a speeding car skidded off the road and fell into a ditch on national highway (NH)-52 in Sonitpur district, bordering Bhutan Saturday.
The small car, travelling from Guwahati to Lakhimpur in northern Assam, skidded off the road and fell into a roadside ditch following a technical snag at Barangabari under Gohpur police station, 300 km northeast of Assam’s main city of Guwahati, a police official said here.
In another incident, at least four people, including two women, were killed and two others sustained injuries when a car in which they were travelling slid down a steep hill slope between Khongsang and Irang along NH-37 in Tamenglong district in western Manipur late Friday evening.
Police said the injured were taken to a government hospital.
- 18 killed in Mizoram bus accident - Jul 21, 2012
- Two killed in Kashmir bus accident - Jul 11, 2012
- Four from Tripura killed in Meghalaya accident - Nov 11, 2011
- Seven people killed in Himachal accidents - May 09, 2012
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- 16 pilgrims killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- Five killed in Himachal accident - Sep 10, 2011
- 22 killed, 19 injured in Uttarakhand bus mishap - Jan 06, 2011
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Bus with over 30 people falls into Himachal gorge (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- 18 killed in Shillong accident - Aug 08, 2012
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- 15 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 5 killed, 20 injured in Jammu accident - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: aizawl, assam, deep gorge, friday evening, government hospital, guwahati, hill slope, incessant rains, landslide, landslides, manipur, northeastern states, police official, police station, road accidents, roadside ditch, small car, speeding car, steep hill, technical snag