27 Indian youth arrested in Colombo for overstayingSeptember 8th, 2008 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Sep 8 (IANS) Sri Lankan Immigration officials arrested a batch of 27 Indian youth here during the weekend for staying on though their visas have expired, a senior official said Monday.Sri Lanka’s Immigration and Emigration assistant controller William Deivendrarajah said the Indians were sent to Sri Lanka allegedly by a foreign employment agent in India and were arrested at a lodge at Maradana here for overstaying in the country.
“During the interrogation it was alleged that a foreign employment agent in India, who had promised to send them to Dubai for employment, had sent them here to get their medical certificates done, claiming that the Dubai agency would not accept medical certificates from India,” Deivendrarajah told IANS.
The arrested Indians were now being kept in the immigration detention centre at Mirihana, pending deportation.
“Of the 27 arrested, nine youth would be deported to India Wednesday and another six would be deported next Tuesday. The remaining 12 Indians would be kept in the detention until they get their air tickets,” Deivendrarajah said, adding that authorities here could not proceed with the investigation further as they were sent by an agent in India.
He said the Indian High Commission here has been informed about the arrests and the developments thereafter.
- Sri Lanka cracks down on illegal workers after Indian's death - May 15, 2012
- 36 Sri Lankans deported, reach Colombo (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- H-1B workers with pending extension pleas can stay: US court - Apr 15, 2011
- Indian couple jailed in British immigration scam - May 17, 2012
- 'Largest' immigration firm on police radar - Feb 21, 2012
- Indians free to seek jobs in Libya - Nov 03, 2010
- Immigration racket busted in Punjab, 1,200 passports recovered - Jun 21, 2011
- Hong Kong advises Indians to abide by immigration rules - May 17, 2010
- Tamil deportations stopped from Britain - Jun 01, 2012
- Immigration agents' offices sealed in Chandigarh - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 7,500 Pakistanis overstayed in India: RTI - Nov 14, 2011
- Britain to have database to track down illegal migrants - Aug 22, 2012
- Vaiko to fast against deportation of Prabhakaran's ailing mother - Apr 17, 2010
- Chandigarh Police arrest two for tourist visa fraud - Nov 21, 2011
- Former cricketer arrested for illegal migration racket - Apr 27, 2011