26/11 martyr’s uncle critical after attempted suicideFebruary 4th, 2011 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) K. Mohanan, the paternal uncle of 26/11 martyr Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, was in a critical state Friday after immolating himself Thursday evening, doctors said.”He is still critical. We are constantly keeping an eye on his position. He is on the ventilator and has 95 percent burn injuries,” T.S. Sidhu, medical superintendent at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, told IANS.
“It seems from his initial statements that he was unhappy over the way the victims of the Mumbai attacks were treated by the government. He was in a depressed state of mind,” said a doctor from the burns and plastic ward of the hospital.
According to the police, Mohanan, 35, poured kerosene on his body and set himself afire outside Gate No.4 of Parliament House near Vijay Chowk at around 6 p.m. Thursday evening.
“People who were at the spot tried to douse the fire and informed the police after which Mohanan was rushed to the hospital,” said a police officer, who did not wish to be identified.
In the suicide note written in Malayalam, Mohanan said that he was unhappy at the way the victims of the Mumbai attacks were being treated by the government. Mohanan is the younger brother of Sandeep’s father.
“He was also disturbed at the death of Sandeep. He wanted to feel the pain he might have suffered when he was shot at by the terrorists,” added the officer.
Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who was in the National Security Guard, died in the assault on the Taj Hotel in Mumbai against terrorists in attack.
Police had recovered a train ticket and notebook from Mohanan’s possessions. “We think that he reached the capital on Jan 30,” he said.
- 26/11 martyr's uncle succumbs to self-immolation bid - Feb 05, 2011
- I have no complaints, says 26/11 martyr's father (Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- 26/11 martyr's uncle attempts self-immolation outside parliament (Second Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- 26/11 martyr's uncle attempts self-immolation outside parliament (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- 26/11 martyr Sandeep Unnikrishnan's uncle dies after immolation bid - Feb 05, 2011
- Man attempts self-immolation outside parliament - Feb 03, 2011
- Ahead of Hu's visit, Tibetan sets himself afire - Mar 26, 2012
- After fight with mother, man tries to immolate self (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Attempted self-immolation by Tibetan against Hu Jintao's visit (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- 26/11, a grim reminder of our perilous neighbourhood: Antony - Nov 26, 2010
- Class 4 kid sets junior on fire in Bihar - Sep 17, 2011
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Tibetan immolates self outside Chinese embassy - Nov 04, 2011
- Tripura journalist attempts self-immolation - Jul 21, 2011
- Hang Kasab now, says slain commando's father - May 06, 2010
Tags: attack police, attempted suicide, chowk, critical state, depressed state, hotel in mumbai, immolating, initial statements, kerosene, martyr, medical superintendent, parliament house, paternal uncle, possessions, security guard, suicide note, taj hotel, train ticket, unnikrishnan, ventilator