26/11 hero is Mumbai’s new joint police commissionerAugust 30th, 2012 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 30 (IANS) A day after the Supreme Court verdict upheld Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab’s death sentence, the state government Thursday transferred a 26/11 hero, Sadanand Date, as joint commissioner of police.
Date, who will now take charge as joint commissioner of police (law & order), was appointed head of the elite Force One, formed in November 2010 to counter terrorist attacks like the one of 26/11.
The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan who reviewed the law and order situation in the state with senior police and other government officials.
Describing it as a routine security review meeting, Home Minister R.R. Patil said it was held to evaluate the law and order situation in the city and the state as a whole after the Aug 11 violence at Azad Maidan and other parts of south Mumbai. There were also attacks recently on students from the northeast in Pune.
Patil confirmed the meeting decided on the transfer of Date and two other Indian Police Service (IPS) officers.
The present joint commissioner of police (law and order), Rajnish Seth, has now been transferred as head of Force One, to take over the position vacated by Date.
Another IPS officer, Javed Ahmed, who is additional director general (establishment), has been transferred and will now hold the position of additional director general (law and order).
This position had fallen vacant after Satyapal Singh, who earlier held it, took over as the Mumbai police commissioner last week.
- Patnaik transferred, Satyapal Singh is new Mumbai top cop (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Mumbai police chief transferred (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Chavan reviews probe into journalist's murder - Jun 12, 2011
- Mumbai police on verge of cracking J. Dey murder case - Jun 16, 2011
- To study security, minister goes to Britain - Sep 18, 2011
- Senior crime journalist shot dead in Mumbai (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Patnaik goes, Mumbai gets new police chief (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Shiv Sena demands public hanging for Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Maharashtra urges centre to curb anti-islam movie on internet - Sep 20, 2012
- Pune devotees' find answer to noise pollution curbs - Sep 04, 2012
- 41 IPS officers reshuffled in Maharashtra - May 23, 2011
- Mumbai senior cop suspended for raping colleague - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: ahmed, ajmal, chavan, chief minister, commissioner of police, death sentence, elite force, government officials, home minister, indian police service, ips officer, law and order, mumbai police, police commissioner, police law, pune, routine security, security review, state government, supreme court verdict