26 police officials suspended after Bihar jail raid (Lead)August 20th, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 20 (IANS) Twenty-six police officials, including the officer in charge of the Siwan jail in Bihar, were suspended after the recovery of mobile phones from prison inmates, officials said Wednesday. Seven were seized from Rashtriya Lok Dal (RJD) MP Mohammad Shahabuddin’s ward.Thirty-seven mobile phones were seized from the inmates of Siwan jail during a raid Aug 3. A dozen mobile chargers, 15 telephone diaries, a headphone, knifes, seven bottles of imported perfume and some cash were also seized from the prisoners.
Police officials including jailor Ramadhar Singh and his deputy Rajendra Prasad were suspended by the Inspector General of Prisons Sandeep Poundereek, the officials said.
“Departmental proceedings against them would be initiated soon,” they added.
Siwan district Superintendent of Police (SP) Umesh Kumar said officials had conducted raids acting on information that inmates were using cell phones in the jail.
A Lok Sabha member from Siwan since 1996, Shahabuddin is charged in over 40 criminal cases, including those of murder, abduction and possession of illegal arms.
- Twenty-six police officials posted in Bihar jail suspended - Aug 20, 2008
- Mobile phones seized from former MP in jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Mobile phones seized from former RJD MP Shahabuddin in Siwan jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Prisoners beat up Rajasthan jailor - Mar 21, 2012
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Voters list recovered from Bihar jail - Sep 18, 2010
- 37 mobile phones seized from Bihar jail - Aug 03, 2008
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- Meerut jail-break: Prisons across Uttar Pradesh raided - Jul 21, 2010
- Bihar official in trouble for favouring jailed MP - Aug 06, 2008
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Mobiles, knife seized from Jharkhand jail - Jan 18, 2011
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Case against jail staff after mobiles found in raid - Feb 07, 2011