26 Filipino seamen freed by Somali piratesNovember 28th, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Nov 28 (Xinhua) Somali pirates have released 26 Filipino seamen seized almost two months ago off Somalia, while 108 Filipino sailors still remain in captivity, the Philippine government said Friday. The sailors were taken hostage in the Gulf of Aden Sep 17, when heavily-armed Somali pirates hijacked their Greek cargo ship MV Centauri.
They were released Thursday night, “safe and in good condition, ” said Esteban Conejos, Undersecretary of the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs.
He did not say if ransom was paid to secure the seafarers’ freedom.
Earlier, he had said that the government does not pay ransom and negotiate directly with kidnappers as a policy.
But reports said that owners of hijacked ships have paid huge amounts to ransom for their crew, including dozens of Filipinos, from Somali pirates.
The Philippines supplies a third of all of the world’s sailors. Some 350,000 Filipino sailors are employed all around the world, manning major oil tankers, luxury liners and passenger ships.
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
- Ship owners ask Somali pirates to release seven Indians (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Indian government did not contact us: Sailor's family - Jun 24, 2011
- Seafarers march against piracy - Apr 28, 2011
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Indonesian troops prepare hostage rescue operation against Somali pirates - Apr 14, 2011
- 53 Indian sailors still under Somali pirates captivity - Mar 10, 2011
- UAE oil tanker freed by pirates - Jul 29, 2011
- Indian seafarers reach Mumbai after being released by Somali pirates - Feb 18, 2010
- Somali pirates free 8 Indian crew, 7 still held hostage (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Somali pirates release Panama-flagged MV VOC Daisy - Oct 19, 2010
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack German-owned ship off Oman - Dec 28, 2010