26 bodies found inside three vehicles in MexicoNovember 25th, 2011 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Nov 25 (IANS/EFE) The bodies of 26 men were found inside two SUVs and an automobile abandoned on a busy avenue in Guadalajara, one of Mexico’s largest cities, prosecutors said Thursday.
The vehicles, which had Mexico City tags, were left at an intersection in the Vallarta San Jorge section of Guadalajara, the capital of the western Mexican state of Jalisco, the state Attorney General’s office said.
Investigators initially said 23 bodies were at the crime scene, but they later found three more inside the vehicles, Jalisco Attorney General Tomas Coronado said.
The crime scene is near a supermarket and the convention center where the Guadalajara International Book Fair is scheduled to begin Saturday.
Police received a call in the early morning hours about the bodies, all of which were “bound and gagged”, Jalisco Public Safety Secretary Luis Carlos Najera told Televisa.
The killers left a message inside one of the vehicles, the public safety secretary said, without revealing the contents.
Municipal security cameras are scattered around the area where the bodies were dumped and it is presumed that they captured images of the killers.
Guadalajara hosted the 16th Pan American Games from Oct 14-30 and the Para Pan American Games ended Sunday.
No serious incidents were reported during the sports event, officials said.
Thousands of police officers were deployed during the events and criminals have now returned to “their daily work”, Najera said.
- Multiple murders: Four Mexican teenagers held - Jan 20, 2012
- Seven family members commit suicide in Mexico - Jan 13, 2012
- Mexico recovers stolen 18th century painting - Sep 11, 2011
- Mexican governor's nephew slain - Nov 12, 2011
- Mexican congressional hopeful bares some skin in posters - May 08, 2012
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Cyanide-laced food kills five in Mexico - Dec 27, 2011
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- 10 die in attack on Mexican bar - Aug 15, 2012
- Mexican sex-crime prosecutors hire male strippers for party - Jul 16, 2011
- Mexico slaughters 3.8 mn chickens to stem bird-flu outbreak - Jul 19, 2012
- At least 20 bodies found in vehicles in western Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
- Mexican group mixes ancestral music with Beatles melodies - Apr 22, 2012
- Britney Spears to give free concert in Mexico City - Dec 01, 2011
- Huge pet crocodile seized in Mexico - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: 26 men, coronado, crime scene, guadalajara international book fair, killers, largest cities, luis carlos, mexico city, mexico mexico, municipal security, najera, pan american games, para pan american games, police officers, prosecutors, public safety secretary, san jorge, security cameras, sports event, state attorney general