25 school kids taken ill after eating castor seeds

March 13th, 2008 - 8:00 pm ICT by admin  

Solapur (Maharashtra), March 13 (IANS) Twenty-five students in Maharashtra were taken ill after they ate castor seeds from school laboratory, mistaking them for groundnuts. They were all class 5 students in Antrodi village of Solapur district and had eaten the seeds Wednesday.

The students were taken first to the Antrodi primary health centre and then to the civil hospital here after they started vomiting, a hospital source told IANS.

The students were discharged Thursday morning after purgative treatment, the source said.

While parents of the students appreciated the primary health centre workers for swiftly treating students and rushing them to the civil hospital, they were angry with the teachers who rushed the students to their homes instead of taking them to hospital even after realizing that they had eaten the poisonous seeds.

The school authorities had set up the laboratory ‘Agnipankh’ to inculcate scientific spirit among students taking inspiration from former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s autobiography “Wings of Fire”.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |