25 militants killed in PakistanJuly 30th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 30 (Xinhua) At least 25 militants have been killed in a military operation in Pakistan’s troubled Swat valley in the northwest, the army said Wednesday. The army launched a major offensive in the valley after Taliban abducted 25 policemen and paramilitary soldiers from a police station Tuesday.
Curfew was declared in the whole valley before launching the operation early Wednesday, army information officer in the area Major Farooq told TV channels.
He said at least 25 militants were killed in the Srabandey area of the valley.
Meanwhile, Taliban claimed that they destroyed an armoured vehicle of the security forces, causing casualties.
There was no confirmation from the army of the claim by Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan.
The government and Taliban had signed a peace deal in the area in May. Later, Taliban accused the government of reneging on its promises.
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 15 dead in Pakistan check post attack (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 10, 2010
- 15 militants killed in Pakistan - Feb 23, 2012
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- 25 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Pakistan Army kills two senior Taliban leaders (Lead) - Jul 30, 2008
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011
- Three killed, 11 missing after Afghan attack - Apr 26, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 20 militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 03, 2009
- 17 militants killed in Pakistan - May 31, 2011