25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacksMarch 20th, 2012 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, March 20 (IANS) At least 25 people were killed and over 170 wounded Tuesday in a series of bomb attacks across Iraq, the police said.
The deadliest attack occurred in the city of Kirkuk, some 250 km north of Baghdad, when a suicide car bomber struck a police headquarters, killing 10 policemen and one civilian, and wounding up to 42 people, a source told Xinhua.
A third car bomb ripped through an areas located just south of Kirkuk, wounding 10 civilians, the source said.
In Baghdad, a suicide bomber blew up his explosive-laden vehicle in the busy district of Alawi in the center of the capital, killing up to five civilians and wounding 28, an interior ministry source said.
Also in the capital, a car bomb exploded at about 10.15 a.m. at a parking lot outside the Iraqi foreign ministry, wounding six people.
In a separate incident, a suicide bomber detonated his explosive-laden car near a coffee shop in Hilla, some 100 km south of Baghdad, killing at least two people and wounding some 30.
In Karbala city, two people were killed and 28 wounded when two car bombs detonated almost simultaneously near a police station, police said.
In Iraq’s western province of Anbar, Governor Qassim al-Fahdawi escaped unhurt a car bomb explosion near his convoy in the city of Ramadi, some 100 km west of Baghdad.
Four of Fahdawi’s bodyguards were wounded in the blast.
In a separate incident, a soldier was killed and six civilians were wounded when a roadside bomb struck an Iraqi army patrol in Ramadi.
Also in the province, gunmen blew up bombs at the house of a policeman in the city of Fallujah, some 50 km west of Baghdad, killing his wife and his son.
In Iraq’s eastern province of Diyala, seven people, including three policemen, were wounded in separate bomb attacks across the province.
Elsewhere, two people were killed and up to 13 wounded in sporadic bomb and gunfire attacks in Salahudin province in north of Baghdad.
The attacks came on the ninth anniversary of the US-led invasion of Iraq that toppled the former leader Saddam Hussein and just days before Baghdad hosts an Arab League summit March 29.
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Two dead, nine hurt in four bomb attacks in Iraq - Dec 25, 2011
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- Seven die in Iraq bomb attack - May 22, 2011
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: alawi, anbar, army patrol, bomb attacks, car bomb explosion, car bomber, car bombs, coffee shop, eastern province, interior ministry, iraq attacks, iraqi army, iraqi foreign ministry, karbala, ministry source, police headquarters, qassim, roadside bomb, suicide bomber, western province