25 killed in Kashmir road accident (Second Lead)September 7th, 2009 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Sep 7 (IANS) At least 25 people were killed and over 20 others injured when a bus in which they were travelling skidded off the road and fell into the Chenab river in the mountainous Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir Monday, police said.
Twenty passengers were killed on the spot and five of the injured succumbed to their injuries in hospital. The condition of another five injured in said to be critical.
The bus was on its way to Jammu from Doda when it skidded off the road as the driver lost control while negotiating a sharp curve and rolled down 300 metres into the Chenab river at Assar, about 150 km north-east of Jammu, around 1 p.m.
“Locals, who saw the bus rolling down into the river, launched the rescue operation immediately. They recovered 20 bodies and 26 people in an injured condition. The injured have been shifted to the emergency accident hospital in Batote,” a police officer said.
Governor N.N. Vohra expressed grief over the loss of lives and instructed the authorities to provide the best possible medical care to the injured.
- 20 killed in Kashmir road accident (Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- 20 feared dead in bus mishap - Feb 10, 2012
- 15 killed, many injured in Kashmir road accident - Sep 07, 2009
- Two killed, 30 injured in Kashmir road accident - Jan 02, 2011
- 20 killed in Kashmir accident (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- 5 die as bus falls into george in Jammu - Sep 07, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- IED defused on Batote-Kishtawar Highway in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 20, 2010
- 5 killed, 20 injured in Jammu accident - Dec 09, 2010
- 30 missing after vehicle falls into river - Nov 05, 2011
- 16 pilgrims killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2012
- Eight die in Kashmir road accidents - Oct 23, 2011
- Five dead, 19 injured in Nepal accident - Jun 04, 2012
- 27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeast - Jul 21, 2012