25 killed as insurgent attack foiled in AfghanistanOctober 8th, 2011 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 8 (IANS) At least 25 insurgents were killed during a foiled militant attack near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, Xinhua reported Saturday.
According to an ISAF, it was the largest coordinated insurgent attack since 2009 against NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) bases, which was foiled Friday night in Afghanistan.
“At least 25 insurgents were confirmed killed during the attacks” near the border with Pakistan, an ISAF release issued late Friday night stated.
Insurgents unsuccessfully used indirect fire from multiple locations in the Gormal, Sarobi and Barmal districts of Paktika province, some 160 km south of Afghan capital Kabul.
“One Coalition member was slightly wounded,” said the news release issued by ISAF RC-East.
Troops stationed at Combat Outpost Margah “positively identified and destroyed an insurgent vehicle bomb before it could get close enough to the base.”
Coalition aircraft provided close air support with precision guided bombs against insurgent targets. “There were no reports of civilian damage or casualties,” said the news release.
There was no comment from Afghan Taliban.
- Over 60 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 09, 2011
- 40 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2012
- 13 killed in eastern Afghanistan suicide bomb attack - Mar 28, 2011
- 80 Taliban killed in failed attack on NATO combat post in Afghanistan near Pak border - Oct 31, 2010
- NATO Apache attack choppers kill 34 insurgents in strikes inside Pakistan - Sep 27, 2010
- Troops kill 19 militants in Afghanistan - Jun 09, 2010
- Bombs kill five foreign troops in Afghanistan - Aug 31, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Oct 31, 2010
- Afghanistan: Taliban commander behind NATO helicopter crash captured - Sep 17, 2012
- NATO-led air strike kills senior Haqqani leader in eastern Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- NATO soldier, 35 insurgents killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 24, 2010
- Kabul fighting over, all attackers killed - May 02, 2012
- Six NATO troops die in Afghan attack - Dec 12, 2010
- Two dead, 100 injured in Afghan suicide bombing - Sep 11, 2011
Tags: afghan capital kabul, afghan taliban, afghanistan kabul, afghanistan pakistan, bombs, casualties, close air support, coalition aircraft, coalition member, friday night, indirect fire, insurgents, international security assistance, isaf, nato, news release, outpost, pakistan border, taliban, xinhua