25 kg gold seized from fake CBI officerSeptember 9th, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 9 (IANS) Around 25 kg of gold jewellery was seized from a locker owned by one of the two people who were arrested last month for cheating several businessmen and Bollywood personalities by posing as CBI officers, an officer said Friday.
Ashwini Kumar Sharma and Rajesh Ranjan were nabbed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Aug 30, the investigative agency’s joint director Rishi Raj Singh said.
It has also been found out that the duo has property worth crores of rupees.
“We are on the lookout for a third suspect, Anirudh Agarwal of Panipat (Haryana). He is a close associate of the two accused,” Singh said.
The CBI has offered a reward of Rs.50,000 to anybody giving information on Agarwal’s whereabouts.
“Investigations revealed that the money collected by them were invested in buying properties, gold and shares in Panipat,” Singh added.
Agarwal operated as proprietor in Panipat and is a childhood friend of Sharma, who is also from Panipat. Ranjan hails from Hardia in Bihar’s East Champaran district.
Sharma used to operate bank lockers at a branch of IDBI Bank in the name of Naresh Kumar Sharma where a large quantity of gold jewellery and gold bars weighing around 25 kg have been recovered.
Ranjan and Sharma were arrested last month following complaints from at least 20 film and business personalities of harassment, threats and extortion.
The CBI earlier seized Rs.2.8 million from them and also recovered documents pertaining to investments in realty.
While Ranjan holds an MBA degree, Sharma used to run a loss-making garment unit in his hometown.
Sharma, who has been described as having a good personality, would travel in a vehicle with a beacon, giving the impression that he was a VIP.
Similarly, Ranjan would dress well, moved around with attractive women and flaunted his alleged connections with top police and government officials to trap innocent victims.
- Two fake CBI officers nabbed in Mumbai - Aug 30, 2011
- Gold, silver brick seized from arrested tax official - Jul 16, 2011
- Cash, jewellery seized from Reddy kin's bank lockers, driver - Sep 17, 2011
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Court questions CBI on bail plea of ex-NALCO chief - Jun 15, 2011
- NALCO CMD, wife sent to six-day police custody (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- A clerk who made Rs.30 crores! (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- CBI remand of Medical Council of India chief extended to May 1 - Apr 28, 2010
- Ex-NALCO chief sent to five days CBI custody - Mar 03, 2011
- NALCO chief sent to judicial custody in corruption case - Mar 08, 2011
- Bank officials, businessmen arrested for fraud - Nov 26, 2010
- Graft case: CBI custody of NALCO chief's aide extended - Mar 05, 2011
- A clerk who made Rs.30 crores! (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Medical scam accused sent to CBI custody - Jan 06, 2012
- Cash, jewellery worth Rs.11.61 crore seized from Ponty Chadha - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: ashwini, attractive women, business personalities, cbi officers, central bureau of investigation, champaran, childhood friend, gold bars, gold jewellery, good personality, haryana, innocent victims, investigative agency, kumar sharma, mba degree, quantity of gold, raj singh, ranjan, rs 50, worth crores