25 endangered turtles seized in Odisha, one heldDecember 16th, 2011 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 16 (IANS) Forest officials Friday seized 25 fresh water turtles and arrested a man in Odisha’s Kendrapada district for illegally possessing the endangered amphibians, officials said.
The officials found the freshwater turtles packed in a jute bag in the sidebag of a motorcycle at the seaside Ramachandi village, nearly 150 km from Bhubaneswar, a district forest official told IANS.
The officials seized the motorcycle and arrested its owner under the Wildlife Protection Act, he said.
Turtles are listed as endangered and protected under the act and their capture or killing is an offence under the law.
- Six turtles seized from Odisha hospital pool, one held - Sep 05, 2012
- Olive Ridleys may delay mass nesting at Odisha beach - Feb 03, 2012
- Orissa bans fishing near turtle nesting sites - Nov 01, 2011
- 50,000 endangered turtles nest in Odisha's Rushikulya beach - Mar 01, 2012
- 10 held for fishing near turtle nesting site - Jan 08, 2011
- Orissa sets up camps to protect nesting turtles - Oct 28, 2010
- As rare Olive Ridleys mate, Orissa mounts vigil - Dec 21, 2010
- Turtle helps save its namesake species - Jun 06, 2012
- Nearly 1500 turles seized in Bihar - Feb 14, 2011
- 170,000 Olive Ridley turtles lay eggs in Orissa's Gahirmatha - Mar 06, 2010
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Two elephants killed by train in Odisha, driver held - Aug 16, 2012
- Orissa bans fishing near turtle nesting sites - Nov 01, 2010
- Five arrested for fishing in marine sanctuary - Feb 21, 2010
- Two Maoists held in Odisha - Jan 28, 2012