25 dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh (Third Lead)June 14th, 2010 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 14 (IANS) At least 25 people, including women and children, drowned and 17 were reported missing when a boat capsized Monday in Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh’s Ballia district, police said.
There were around 65 people in the boat when the accident took place near Ujwalia bank in Ballia, some 300 km from Lucknow.
According to the police, those in the boat were going midstream to perform rituals related to the ‘mundan’ ceremony of their children. Several people managed to swim ashore.
“As per the latest reports, 25 bodies have been taken out of the river. Around 17 people are still missing. The toll is likely to climb,” Additional Director General (Law and Order) Brij Lal told reporters here.
“With the help of several teams of river police and divers, rescue operation is being carried out,” he added.
According to police, of the 25 killed, nine were men, nine women and seven children.
“At least 10 people were rescued with the help of police and divers. All are undergoing treatment at a hospital,” District Magistrate Senthil Pandiyan told IANS.
According to the police, the accident took place because of “over-loading”.
“The boat could only ferry 25-30 people. But, at the time of accident, the boat had people twice its capacity,” Inspector Shobhnath Yadav told reporters.
Ram Sumer, 50, a survivor, told reporters: “The boat’s condition was also very bad. It was an old one. When the boat flipped over, the boatman instead of saving us fled.”
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs.1 lakh to the families of each of the dead.
- 18 dead, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- 55 bodies recovered after boat capsize, hunt on for more - Jun 15, 2010
- 47 dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh (Fourth Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Boat tragedy toll rises to 61 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- 14 drown as boat capsizes (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- 'Boat in Ballia mishap being used illegally' - Jun 17, 2010
- One held for Ballia boat tragedy - Jun 18, 2010
- 10 drown as boat capsizes - Jun 14, 2010
- Ballia boat accidents expose negligence of authorities - Jul 02, 2010
- Six women dead in boat capsize - Mar 04, 2011
- Six dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 20, 2010
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- 41 killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 22, 2011
- 15 missing after boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 22, 2010
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011