25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead)June 2nd, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 2 (IANS) Six policemen and 19 prisoners were injured Saturday when a blast triggered by Maoists ripped through their vehicle in the insurgency-hit Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, police said.
“All the 25 people seated in the vehicle sustained serious injuries but the condition of four policemen and 11 prisoners is critical,” Additional Director General of Police (Maoist Operations) Ram Niwas told IANS.
The attack took place on a bridge on National Highway No.30 in the newly-formed Kondagaon district, some 210 km south from state capital Raipur.
The blast ripped through the vehicle carrying 25 people, including 19 prisoners, who were returning to Bastar district headquarters Jagdalpur from Kondagaon after being presented in a local court, police here said.
Niwas said it was a powerful blast and all 25 people seated in the vehicle sustained serious injuries but the condition of four policemen and six inmates was critical.
The local police authorities, which admitted that the attack was “a fallout of serious security lapse”, have sent an urgent message to the state home department here to rush a chopper to ferry the injured policemen and inmates to Raipur for advanced medical attention.
A police official in Jagdalpur said the attack “may be a case of mistaken identity” as the jail vehicle looked similar to the vehicle used by police and paramilitary forces in the Bastar region.
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast - Jun 02, 2012
- Cop killed, 24 others injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh steps up security during Maoist protest week - Jun 03, 2012
- Special police teams to keep vigil on top Maoist leaders (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists blow up police vehicle in Chhattisgarh - May 10, 2011
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- High alert in Chhattisgarh - Aug 14, 2012
- Maoists blow up bridge on key national highway - Dec 06, 2011
- Maoist landmine blast kills five CRPF men in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert as Maoists mark anniversary - Sep 21, 2011
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- Two innocent tribals killed as Maoists, police admit - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: case of mistaken identity, chopper, district headquarters, fallout, inmates, insurgency, jagdalpur, local court, maoist, maoists, medical attention, paramilitary forces, police authorities, police official, policemen, prisoners, ram niwas, security lapse, serious security, urgent message