24 sailors treated after fire on US aircraft carrierMay 24th, 2008 - 5:42 am ICT by admin
Washington, May 24 (DPA) A nuclear powered US aircraft carrier caught fire while sailing in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of South America that left 24 sailors in need of medical attention, the Navy said Friday. The large blaze erupted Thursday in the rear of the USS George Washington before quickly spreading through a cableway and causing extreme heat before it was extinguished, the Navy said.
One sailor was being treated for first degree burns while 23 received medical attention for heat stress, the Navy said, adding there were no serious injuries.
The $5-billion ship, which came into service in 1992, retained complete propulsion as there was no damage to the large- deck carrier’s two nuclear reactors, the Navy said.
“There’s only one word for the effort this team made to combat the fire and that is heroic,” the ship’s captain, Dave Dykhoff, said. “The effectiveness of the damage control effort also clearly demonstrated the quality of our training, procedures and systems.”
The George Washington continued on its route to San Diego, California to complete its summer mission of relieving the USS Kitty Hawk carrier, the Navy said.
- Aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk not for sale to India: US - Feb 10, 2010
- Indian, US navies to conduct joint exercise - Apr 06, 2012
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- India carrier's trial snags blamed on faulty boilers - Sep 18, 2012
- Faulty boilers caused Indian aircraft carrier's trial snags (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Tailhook Scandal: Captain Owen Honors Sacked - Jan 05, 2011
- Mumbai born US naval commander dies suddenly - Nov 11, 2011
- Efforts on to douse fire in cargo ship off Mumbai, no casualties - Sep 10, 2012
- 10 hurt as US Navy jet explodes - Apr 01, 2011
- US, South Korea begin joint naval exercises - Jul 25, 2010
- Submarine rams into ship as navigator listens to iPod - Apr 11, 2010
- U.S. sailor goes missing in the Gulf of Oman - Jan 19, 2011
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- US considering sending aircraft carrier to Korean Peninsula - Jun 03, 2010
- Tsunami-hit Japan opts out of India-US naval war game - Apr 01, 2011