23 years later, court quashes case against income tax officialsSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 23 (IANS) The Madras High Court Tuesday quashed 23-year-old pending proceedings against four suspended income tax officials, well past the retirement age now, and rapped the Central Bureau of Investigation for tarrying over a minor matter.”The prosecution has to be faulted for not conducting a single witness’ examination during this period after the authorities concerned had withdrawn the charges several years ago,” Justice K.N. Basha observed in his judgement quashing the matter.
“Petitioners Balasubramanian, Manoharan, Ettappan and Paari have been exonerated of all charges long ago which were anyway very minor entailing grant of tax exemption to some employees in a private enterprise on medical grounds. This is a serious miscarriage of justice,” senior counsel K. Kumar had contended during his arguments while appearing for the plaintiffs.
The judge overruled CBI counsel R. Chandrasekhar’s objections against the quashing.
- Lawyer behind Yeddyurappa arrest faces contempt case - Oct 15, 2011
- Court adjourns plea of Reliance executives (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Hearing of plea against Yeddyurappa to resume Feb 14 - Feb 04, 2011
- Lawyers to file prosecution case against Yeddyurappa Monday - Jan 22, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to CBI in minister's killing - Dec 15, 2011
- Apex court to hear in July a 37-year-old case - Apr 16, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Bhardwaj allows Yeddyurappa's prosecution, BJP calls for Karnataka bandh (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Summons to Rewati Raman Singh stayed - Oct 24, 2011
- Mishra killing: SC reserves order on accused's plea (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- 2G scam: CBI to file third charge sheet by Sep 15 - Aug 24, 2011
- Quash charges, trial in Mishra killing, SC urged (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Mishra killing: SC reserves order on accused's plea - Jul 31, 2012
- Larger bench to hear Yeddyurappa's plea against prosecution - Jul 18, 2011
- Ayodhya case: Advani, others oppose CBI plea (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012