23-year-old woman ages 50 years in just days!October 13th, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 13 (IANS) A 23-year-old woman claims that she aged by 50 years in just days. Her story has sparked an internet debate asking if such rapid ageing is possible and medical experts are divided on what could have triggered it.
Vietnamese woman Nguyen Thi Phuong now looks like a septuagenarian after the affliction took hold following an allergic reaction to seafood, it’s claimed.
Her sad story began in 2008, when she says her youthful beauty began to fade over the course of just a few days, leaving her with sagging, wrinkled skin all over her face and body, The Sun reported Thursday.
Until now she has apparently been forced to wear a mask in public to hide her appearance from prying eyes, but now doctors are attempting to establish what caused her sudden and horrifying ageing.
Her husband, carpenter Nguyen Thanh Tuyen says his love for his once beautiful wife has not faded while Phuong, now 26, says her condition has only worsened since she was first struck with the condition, according to the newspaper.
Doctors are at odds over what condition she has - some have argued it is lipodystrophy, a rare syndrome that causes a layer of fatty tissue beneath the surface of the skin to disintegrate while the skin itself continues to grow at a startling pace.
The syndrome, which has no cure, leaves its victims with loose folds of skin all over their bodies, wrinkled faces and the gaunt features of people decades older.
The condition is extremely rare and only 2,000 people throughout the world are thought to have lipodystrophy.
Nguyen claims she has long been allergic to seafood and that she had suffered a particularly bad reaction in 2008.
“I was really itchy all over my body. I had to scratch even while sleeping,” the newspaper quoted her as saying.
She said she took some medicine bought at a local pharmacy instead of going to the hospital because she and her husband, now 33, were too poor to pay for treatment.
The carpenter said his wife’s disease has not affected his love for her or their relationship.
- British woman allergic to water - Mar 13, 2012
- Dracula therapy: Fighting ageing with your own blood - Nov 16, 2011
- Tick bite turns red meat into nasty allergy - Jul 25, 2012
- 'India focus for allergy research' - Sep 02, 2012
- Heidi Klum keeps weight on to avoid wrinkles - Nov 24, 2010
- Mystery illness: nails grow out of hair follicles - Aug 10, 2012
- Extra weight adds youth, says Heidi Klum - Nov 19, 2010
- British woman sues deo firm after suffering burns - Aug 05, 2012
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- Chinese women drinking collagen for 'skin as soft as a baby's' - Oct 28, 2010
- Swedish girl 'grows back face' after suffering allergic reaction to Paracetamol - Jan 13, 2010
- Moisturizer 'more than enough to keep wrinkles at bay' - Jun 01, 2010
- Brit girl, 7, has a granny's body - Jun 06, 2010
- Girl nods off in April, wakes up in June! - Jun 14, 2012
- Smartphone squint causes premature wrinkles - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: affliction, ageing, allergic reaction, face and body, fatty tissue, internet debate, lipodystrophy, medical experts, nguyen, old woman, phuong, prying eyes, rare syndrome, sad story, septuagenarian, thanh tuyen, vietnamese woman, woman claims, wrinkled skin, youthful beauty