23 killed in Maharashtra bus accident (Lead)May 28th, 2012 - 10:16 am ICT by IANS
Raigad (Maharashtra), May 28 (IANS) At least 23 people were killed and another 10 injured when a tempo hit two stationery private mini-buses on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway early Monday, officials said.
The accident occured near Khalapur, around 80 km from Mumbai.
According to the Raigad police control, the accident occurred shortly after midnight when one of the two ill-fated mini-buses had halted for rectifying some technical problem.
Suddenly, a speeding loaded tempo hit the two buses from the rear, instantaneously killing many of the occupants sleeping in the bus and running over the others who were waiting for a relief bus.
The buses, carrying members of a marriage party from Ghatkopar suburb of north-east Mumbai, was returning to Pune when the gruesome accident occurred near the Khalapur village, an official said.
Another 10 injured passengers have been rushed to hospitals in Mumbai, Thane and Pune.
One of the bus driver, who survived, told mediapersons that the victims were taken completely unawares by the speeding tempo and a majority of them succumbed instantaneously after the hit.
- 23 killed as tempo rams into mini-buses (Second Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 18 killed in Maharashtra bus accident - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed, 29 injured in Maharashtra accident (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Toll rise to 32 in Maharashtra bus accident (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- 30 pilgrims dead in Maharashtra bus accident (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Mumbai-Pune tragedy could have been averted: IRF - May 29, 2012
- Pile-up on Pune-Mumbai Expressway after freak accidents - Jun 09, 2012
- Eight killed in Maharashtra accident - May 28, 2011
- Two policemen killed in accident - Jun 19, 2011
- 15 killed as tempo-bus collide in Karnataka (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- 15 killed as tempo collides with bus in Karnataka - Jun 27, 2011
- Six killed in Mumbai-Pune Expressway accident - Feb 07, 2011