23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacreApril 9th, 2012 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, April 9 (IANS) A special trial court here Monday acquitted 23 people, but also convicted 23 for the massacre of 23 people in Ode village of Anand district during the 2002 Gujarat riots.
The case relates to March 1, 2002 when, soon after the Godhra train carnage, rioters set fire to a building, killing 23 Muslims trapped inside in Pirwali Bhagol area of Ode.
This is the third riots case - after the Godhra train carnage and Sardarpura massacre - in which the special trial court has pronounced judgement.
A total of 47 accused are undergoing trial in the case.
The state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party hailed the verdict, with party leader Yatin Oza calling it justice.
“This verdict proves justice will be done to those affected, cases of this magnitude take time before the final cases are out. The Gujarat cases are no different. Delhi cases after 27 years still unresolved, here one after another verdicts are coming,” Oza told TV channel Times Now.
“Those who are interested in justice for riot victims will be satisfied with the verdict, those who are misusing riot victims to reach the hidden agenda… they will not be satisfied because they have only one aim - anyhow Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi should be maligned,” he said.
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Congress doesn't comment on Ode massacre verdict - Apr 09, 2012
- Nine convicted, 32 acquitted for Gujarat riots case (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 04, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Apex court lifts stay on Gujarat riot cases, bar Gulberg society (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Supreme Court stays trial of Sanjiv Bhatt (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Gujarat gets notice on plea to change Gulberg Society case judge - Oct 26, 2010
- Timeline of Godhra train carnage case - Feb 22, 2011
- DU students remember victims of Gujarat riots - Feb 27, 2012
- Nanavati-Mehta panel allows cross-examination of Sanjiv Bhatt - May 09, 2011
- Trial court to give Godhra verdict: Supreme Court - Jan 25, 2011
- Police officer facing action moves Gujarat High Court (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Riot panel witness testifies against Teesta Setalvad - Nov 24, 2010
- Gujarat riot victims may file plea to make cop a witness - Jun 21, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012