22 bodies retrieved from sunken trawler in BangladeshJanuary 20th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 20 (Xinhua) Twenty-two bodies were retrieved by rescuers Tuesday from a sunken trawler in Bangladesh’s southeastern Chandpur district, officials said.A trawler carrying 50 labourers capsized on the Meghna River, some 115 km from here, early Monday. Around 25 people swam ashore, while the rest were missing.
A massive search operation was launched to retrieve the missing people.
By Tuesday afternoon, rescuers had retrieved 22 bodies from the river, while three people were still missing, an official of Bangladesh’s Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), said.
BIWTA divers pulled out the bodies from inside a cabin of the sunken trawler, the official said. The operation was delayed due to dense fog.
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 22 people missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jan 19, 2009
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 75 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2011
- Seven people drown in West Bengal - Sep 15, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 76 (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 69 - Nov 02, 2010
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Bangladesh ferry capsize toll rises to 110 - Mar 14, 2012
- All 35 dead in Bangladesh boat tragedy women, kids - Dec 19, 2010
- 35 dead, 10 missing in Bangladesh boat capsize - Dec 19, 2010
- Russian sunken ship toll rises to 120 - Jul 25, 2011