21 stranded Tamil Nadu residents return from MalaysiaDecember 25th, 2008 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 25 (IANS) Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s efforts resulted in the repatriation of 21 people stranded for over seven months in Malaysia and their homeward journey to Cuddalore district Thursday, an official statement said.”The 21 persons who returned home Wednesday after suffering for over 7 months in Malaysia are happily on their way to their residences in Cuddalore district after monetary help to the tune of Rs.210,000 was accorded to the affected persons today (Thursday) from the chief minister’s relief fund,” the statement said.
According to the press communiqué, the matter was brought to Karunanidhi’s notice by Pon Kumar, a local politician who recently came across the suffering people in Malaysia.
“Karunanidhi sought the help… of External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and did the needful within two hours to help those stranded return home. The victims had embarked upon a trip to Australia but were offloaded enroute. During the interregnum they stayed in temples with the help of locals,” the statement added.
The returnees met Karunanidhi at the secretariat to thank him, officials said.
- Bru families' repatriation to Mizoram to resume tomorrow - Apr 11, 2011
- Karunanidhi to visit cyclone-hit areas Wednesday - Jan 03, 2012
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Life limping back after Cyclone Thane's destruction - Dec 31, 2011
- Assessment of damage by rain in Tamil Nadu - Dec 06, 2010
- Chances bright for refugees' return to Mizoram - Jan 06, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Over 200 dead in Tamil Nadu as rains abate - Dec 07, 2010
- UN condemns attack on Pakistan relief camp - Apr 18, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to expand biometric smart card-based pension scheme - Jan 21, 2012
- Amid uncertainty, Reang refugees to return to Mizoram - Apr 25, 2012
- Rs.700 crore relief more for cyclone damage: Jayalalithaa - Jan 03, 2012
- Jayalalithaa visits cyclone-hit Cuddalore - Jan 04, 2012
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011