2.1 percent of Indians have disabilities, says expertSeptember 20th, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Sep 20 (IANS) India has 2.1 percent of its people with disabilities, with blindness comprising the largest percentage and hearing disability on the rise, said an expert at a seminar here.S.N. Goswami, managing director and CEO of Media Lab Asia, a company promoted by the Union Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, said that of the disabilities, blindness amounted to 48.5 percent while locomotive disability was 27.8 percent and mental illnesses 33 percent. Hearing impairment in elderly citizens is now on the rise due to urbanisation.
Goswami was addressing a two-day national conference on ‘Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for Differently Abled People (DAP)’ which began here at Gandhi Labour Institute Friday.
Since independence, the government has taken several initiatives for improving the lives of people with disabilities. “I consider 1995 as the high watermark because it was then that the People With Disabilities (PWD) Act came into being along with PCs, CPU/hard disks which came into mass circulation,” Goswami said.
Although progress has been made in the country through various provisions and policies still much needs to be done to help people with disabilities. Media Lab Asia is supporting several projects to empower differently abled.
It is implementing a Comprehensive Satellite/Internet based National Network through Edusat for students, parents, trainee teachers and professionals engaged in different areas of disabilities like mental retardation, autism, cerebral palsy and multiple disabilities, he said.
- Government should implement reservation for disabled: MP - May 02, 2012
- Need to sensitize society on autism - Apr 03, 2012
- Achievers with cerebral palsy felicitated in Mumbai - Sep 04, 2012
- 21 mn people are disabled in India: Minister - May 07, 2012
- Women on wheelchairs call for equitable rights for all - Mar 07, 2012
- Women awarded for exemplary work for marginalised kids - Aug 19, 2011
- Power-starved Punjab goes for 'green computing' - Feb 28, 2011
- Parents of mentally disabled kids look for filmmakers - Nov 28, 2011
- Cerebral palsy, leading cause of child disability in India - Dec 03, 2010
- Deboarding incident a rights violation: Government - Feb 22, 2012
- Chennai innovator gives voice to the voiceless - Aug 26, 2011
- Disabled demand change in mindsets, policy (Dec 3 is World Disability Day) - Dec 02, 2010
- Rajya Sabha takes up bill to include disabled in RTE - Apr 24, 2012
- Schools seek government aid for educating disabled - Jan 30, 2012
- 15 million babies born prematurely every year - May 03, 2012