21 killed in Indonesia stampedeSeptember 15th, 2008 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Sep 15 (Xinhua) At least 21 people were killed in a stampede Monday in Indonesia’s East Java province during the distribution of tithe, an Islamic practice of giving away gifts during Ramadan.According to the police, the stampede started as thousands of people jostled at the venue of the distribution ceremony in Pasuruan regency.
“Twenty-one people have been killed and 10 hospitalized after they were trampled upon,” a police officer said. He said 86 others were hurt.
Television footage showed thousands of villagers, many of them women and children, jostled to receive the tithe.
- 17 killed in Indonesia bus accident - Feb 08, 2011
- Road accidents claim about 130 lives in Indonesian - Sep 09, 2010
- Two dead in Indonesia bombing - Sep 25, 2011
- Eight killed in stampede at Pakistan shrine - Aug 20, 2012
- Tornado hits Indonesia - Jan 26, 2012
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- One killed, four hurt in Indonesia quakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Indonesian businessman charged in deadly stampede - Sep 16, 2008
- Stampede kills 16 pilgrims, injures more than 50 in northern India - Nov 08, 2011
- Indonesia ship fire kills eight (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Seven killed in Indonesia cafe fire - Jun 25, 2010
- Indonesian tornado leaves 14 dead - Jan 29, 2012
- Russian plane goes missing in Indonesia - May 09, 2012