21 arrested for drugging, looting train passengersApril 11th, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, April 11 (IANS) They would loot rail passengers after drugging them with poison-coated biscuits and other eatables. More than 20 ‘friendly poison peddlers’ were arrested in a joint operation by railway and Agra police here.
Superintendent of Police of General Railway Police (GRP) Upendra Agrawal said that 21 people, including women, were nabbed Friday. The police said in the past six months there have been hundreds of cases of drugging and looting passengers between Agra, Aligarh, Etawah and Jaipur sections.
“Most victims were labourers from eastern India,” said Agrawal.
“An 18-year-old youth confessed that their group was involved in looting rail passengers after drugging them with biscuits and other eatables,” Agrawal told reporters.
He said the men revealed that they would target people travelling in the general compartments and fool them with an offer of some drug-coated eatables that sent the victims to sound sleep.
“Once the passengers dozed off, the gang members collected all the money and valuables from their possession and got down at the nearest stop,” Agrawal said.
Police teams were involved in tracking suspicious looking characters on the platforms since Friday morning. By evening more than 20 were in police custody, including a gang of four specialising in lifting luggage of passengers.
Agrawal said seven of those arrested are from a single family of Etawah.
The joint operation was carried out simultaneously in Tundla, Firozabad and Agra. The people were arrested with drugs, medicines and mobile phones.
- BJP parliamentarian booked in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 06, 2011
- Ten train passengers found drugged, robbed - Jan 09, 2012
- Traders robbed of 100 kg silver, Rs.12 lakh cash - Apr 17, 2011
- Delhi-Howrah rail route disrupted - Jan 06, 2011
- Beaten on train, French national dies in Haryana - May 03, 2012
- Arms smuggler held in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 10, 2011
- Man held for robbing train passengers, patients - May 21, 2011
- Three killed in Uttar Pradesh train crash, four suspended - Jan 16, 2010
- Gang that drugged and robbed passengers caught - Jun 13, 2012
- Four coal wagons catch fire in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 16, 2009
- Six held in Agra with drugs - Dec 13, 2010
- Four held for looting on trains - Sep 18, 2011
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Train derails in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 27, 2011
- Interstate narcotic syndicate busted in Delhi - Mar 10, 2012