209 institutes offering technical courses without approvalMarch 18th, 2008 - 8:33 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) As many as 209 institutes were offering technical courses without the approval of the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the apex advisory body for promotion and development of technical education, the Lok Sabha was informed Tuesday. In a written reply, Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh said that Maharashtra had the highest number (82) of institutes offering technical education without requisite permission from the AICTE, followed by Karnataka (20), Delhi (19), West Bengal (16) and Uttar Pradesh (15).
The AICTE was set up in November 1945 as a national-level apex advisory body to conduct surveys on facilities on technical education and to promote development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner.
“AICTE has placed a list of approved technical institutions on its website (www.aicte.ernet.in), and also publishes notices from time to time in leading newspapers, cautioning all concerned to check the approval status of technical colleges before joining them,” Singh said.
In reply to another question, Singh said the AICTE should set up the “centres of excellence and centres of advanced studies” in view of the changing environment and global competitiveness in the field of technical education.
“AICTE should deal effectively with unauthorized institutions and approved colleges running unapproved programmes. It should also evolve mechanisms to provide exposure to the country’s technical colleges to the world-class institutions.”
- AICTE studying plea against new institutions - Nov 25, 2011
- Real estate lobby to help fund education in the sector - Aug 16, 2012
- Framework for vocational education launched - Feb 07, 2012
- Common admission test for B-schools now - Dec 05, 2011
- Corruption case against senior UGC official - Nov 05, 2009
- Microsoft, Autodesk to provide free software to colleges - Oct 15, 2010
- Seats in technical education to be increased (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Dual, integrated management courses for students - Apr 12, 2012
- Sibal praises technical education council - May 20, 2010
- New norms for technical institutes irk managements - Jan 14, 2011
- Programme to train 150 million school drop-outs - Oct 08, 2011
- Opening of new technical colleges to become paperless - Jan 07, 2010
- Seven things to look at before you walk into a college (Comment) - Jun 19, 2011
- Punjab to fill all vacancies of teachers - Apr 02, 2012
- Bhabha Centre officials to advise Bengal's science panels - Sep 14, 2011