2008 closes on sweet note with action-thriller ‘Ghajini’December 31st, 2008 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 31 (IANS) Just when Bollywood was struggling to cope with the aftereffects of the economic avalanche and 26/11 terror attacks, Aamir Khan starrer “Ghajini” has provided a ray of hope. The film closed the industry’s annual balance sheet with huge collections.“’Ghajini’ has broken all box office records worldwide for any Indian film, raking in an initial of Rs.900 million over the weekend (including the paid previews). The film has beaten the previous best initial of Rs.600 million set by ‘Singh is Kinng’ and ‘Rab Ne Bana De Jodi’,” Aman Gill, director, domestic theatrical distribution of Studio 18, told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
“It has proven itself to be the biggest grosser so far in Bollywood,” he added.
Studio 18 holds the distribution rights for the film in India, while it has been circulated overseas courtesy BIG Pictures.
“Ghajini”, which released Dec 25, is the Hindi remake of A.R. Murugadoss’ award-winning 2005 Tamil hit by the same name and trade experts are confident that the action-adventure has no competition for the next two weeks.
“The movie is faring exceptionally well at both multiplexes and single screens and doesn’t see any competition for the next two weeks until Akshay Kumar starrer ‘Chandni Chowk To China’ hits the screens Jan 16,” said Joginder Mahajan, a Delhi-based distributor.
Tusshar Dhingra, COO of BIG Cinemas, said: “’Ghajini’ sure has a clear advantage as there is no major release till Jan 16. Considering the response for the film, we are in fact looking ahead for another bumper weekend.”
“It is the largest theatrical release for any Indian film till date,” he added.
A recent statement released from Yash Raj Films stated that Aditya Chopra’s “Rab Ne…” that released Dec 12 is still continuing to do well at the box office and has crossed beyond a gross of Rs.300 million in the second week.
Starring Shah Rukh Khan and debutante Anushka Sharma, “Rab Ne…” was appreciated for its appeal to the common man.
Vipul Shah’s Akhsay Kumar and Katrina Kaif starrer, the comedy “Singh Is Kinng”, grossed around Rs.1.5 billion in all.
Industry sources also reveal that “Ghajini” has full chances of totting up a gross of around Rs.2.5 billion worldwide, leaving behind the highest overall grosser so far that is the Shah Rukh starrer “Om Shanti Om” that banked a total of across Rs.1.65 billion worldwide.
- Superhero 'RA.One' flying high with Rs.170 crore collection - Oct 31, 2011
- 'The Dirty Picture' not one day wonder, cash registers ringing - Dec 04, 2011
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Rab Ne...' will always remain special: Anushka Sharma - Dec 10, 2011
- SRK's 'Rab Ne...' wins at Okinawa Festival - Apr 02, 2010
- Love Aaj Kal joins prestigious club - Aug 23, 2009
- 'Barfi!' mints Rs.58.6 crore in first week - Sep 21, 2012
- '3 Idiots' breaks record, grosses Rs.100 crore in four days (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2009
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
- '3 Idiots' hits jackpot, grosses Rs.93 crore in opening weekend (Lead) - Dec 28, 2009
- 'My Name is Khan' releasing in South Korea this week - Mar 24, 2011
- '3 Idiots' grosses Rs.93 crore in opening weekend - Dec 28, 2009
- 'Rab Ne...' hits bull's eye, breaks Yash Raj's jinx - Dec 15, 2008
- 'Barfi!' wins hearts, collects over Rs.34 crore in first weekend - Sep 17, 2012
- 'Ghajini' already a hit at ticket counters - Dec 23, 2008