20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: JogiNovember 13th, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 13 (IANS) Over 20,000 girls belonging to Chhattisgarh’s tribal region have been sold by human traffickers in the last eight years in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai, Congress leader Ajit Jogi said Sunday.
These girls mainly belonged to Jashpur, Surguja and Raigarh districts and were taken away by human traffickers in the name of jobs and trainings, the former Chhattisgarh chief minister said in a statement.
Expressing serious concern over the rising rate of human trafficking in the state, the leader hit out at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government and accused it of “overlooking the problem since it came to power” in December 2003.
He said the prevailing law-and-order situation was “one of the main reasons for rise in human trafficking cases in the state’s tribal areas”.
Chhattisgarh’s vast northern region, including Surguja, Korba, Jashpur, Koria and Raigarh districts are infamous for human trafficking cases. There have been many incidents of men taking away impoverished girls to big cities on the pretext of providing them jobs and forcing them into prostitution.
In a recent case, police Nov 10 arrested a youth in Jashpur for allegedly taking away 20 locals, including 14 girls.
- Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh - Nov 11, 2011
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Government hikes compensation amid elephant menace - Jun 29, 2010
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Wild jumbos go on rampage in Chhattisgarh, one killed - Nov 27, 2009
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Man-elephant conflict: Chhattisgarh plans experts' panel - Dec 17, 2010
- Wild elephants attack Chhattisgarh village, tribals flee - Nov 15, 2009
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: ajit jogi, bangalore, bharatiya janata party, chennai, chhattisgarh, chief minister, congress leader, human traffickers, human trafficking, jobs, koria, law and order, locals, mumbai, pretext, prostitution, raipur, these girls, tribal areas