200 illegal Indian immigrants arrested in BelgiumOctober 19th, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Oct 19 (IANS) The Belgian police have arrested 15 human traffickers and 200 illegal immigrants from India, mainly from Punjab, EuAsiaNews reported Sunday. According to the Belgian media, police Saturday raided houses as well as a gurdwara in Brussels and in Vilvoorde and Tubize municipalities near the capital.
The arrested immigrants were living in safe houses, which were being used as places of hiding for illegal immigrants. In one house in Brussels, 24 people were packed in one room, Flanders radio and television (VRT) reported.
A network of human traffickers is believed to have been operating in Belgium for the past one year and a half. Hundreds of illegal immigrants from India have allegedly been smuggled through Belgium into Britain, VRT said.
Investigation into the network started after two human traffickers operating from India were arrested.
Illegal immigrants are willing to pay up to $6,500 to the smugglers to be transported into European countries.
- Bhatt to shoot 'Blood Money' in Belgian city this month - Aug 07, 2011
- Europe, India to deepen economic cooperation: Anand Sharma - Jun 25, 2012
- India's envoy to Belgium holds get-to-know reception - Sep 11, 2012
- After gurdwara raid row, Belgian king visits Sikh shrine - Nov 06, 2008
- Gurdwara raids cast shadow on Belgian king's visit to India - Nov 02, 2008
- Gurdwara raid casts shadow on Belgian king's visit to India (Lead) - Nov 02, 2008
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- Italian imam held for human trafficking - Jul 18, 2012
- Belgium to host major Indian business meet - Nov 02, 2011
- Over 100 Tamil migrants heading to Canada arrested - Oct 30, 2010
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- China, France bust illegal immigration network - Aug 06, 2010
- Spain busts gang that hid drugs in babies' diapers - Nov 29, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamil held in Canada for war crimes - Nov 04, 2010
- US busts drug ring - Nov 01, 2011