20 killed in Nigerian village attacksJuly 8th, 2012 - 2:43 am ICT by IANS
Abuja, July 8 (IANS) At least 20 people have been killed and many others seriously injured in attacks on villagers in Nigeria’s Plateau State, said a top government official.
A total of 20 people were killed Friday night in Barkinladi local government area by some unidentified gunmen who invaded nine villages of the locality in Gashik district, Xinhua quoted Gyang Fulani, majority leader of the State Assembly as saying.
The lawmaker said the casualties might increase, as many people had been hospitalised following the attack.
The casualties might be high, as the attackers’ numbering about 100 were reportedly using dangerous weapons during the mayhem, said Captain Salisu Mustapha, spokesperson for the Special Task-force (STF).
- Toll in Nigeria village massacres touches 90 - Jul 09, 2012
- 18 killed in Nigerian university attack - Apr 30, 2012
- Nigerian army on alert after sectarian massacre - Mar 08, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills four in Nigeria - Jul 14, 2012
- 11 killed in Nigeria church blasts during Christmas prayers (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Nigeria witnesses 11 more killings (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Deadly Lassa virus kills 13 in Nigeria - Feb 15, 2012
- Bomb blasts, church attacks kill 29 in Nigeria (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Two killed, 26 Boko Haram members held in Nigeria - Jul 28, 2012
- Newspaper offices bombed in Nigeria - Apr 26, 2012
- Four dead in Nigeria military chopper crash (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Toll in Nigeria blasts reaches 80 - Dec 28, 2010
- 11 more killed in Nigeria violence - Jan 23, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- 40 killed in Nigeria community clashes - May 29, 2012
Tags: attackers, casualties, dangerous weapons, friday night, gashik, government area, government official, lawmaker, local government, locality, majority leader, mayhem, nigeria, plateau state, special task force, spokesperson, state assembly, unidentified gunmen, xinhua