2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in IraqNovember 13th, 2011 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Nov 13 (IANS) Two people were killed and 16 others, including 13 Iranian Shiite pilgrims, were injured Sunday in separate gunfire and bomb attacks in central Iraq, police said.
A member of the local Awakening Council group was killed when a sticky bomb attached to his car detonated in the Abu Ghraib area, some 20 km west of Baghdad, a local police source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The blast also wounded a passer-by, the source said.
The Awakening Council group, or Sahwa in Arabic, consists of armed groups, including some powerful anti-US Sunni insurgent groups which fought Al Qaeda militants in the Sunni Arab areas after the US-led invasion of Iraq.
In the city of Samarra, some 120 km north of Baghdad, a policeman was shot dead during an operation in the city’s industrial area, a local police source said.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb went off near a bus carrying Iranian Shiite pilgrims in the northern neighbourhood of Kadhmiyah, wounding 13 pilgrims aboard, an interior ministry source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Two Iraqis, who were accompanying the pilgrims in the bus, were also wounded by the blast, the source said.
Insurgents frequently attack Iranian pilgrims who flock in large numbers to Iraq to visit holy Shiite shrines since the US-led invasion in 2003 that toppled Saddam Hussein’s Sunni regime and set up a Shiite-led government.
In Iraq’s eastern province of Diyala, Iraqi security forces captured an Al Qaeda leader in the provincial capital city of Baquba, some 65 km northeast of Baghdad, a source from Diyala’s operations command anonymously told Xinhua.
Also in the province, Iraqi security forces carried out search operations across the province during the past 24 hours and arrested seven suspects, including four wanted individuals, and found a cache of weapons, the source said.
Sporadic attacks are still common in Iraqi cities despite the dramatic decrease of violence over the past few years.
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- 20 pilgrims killed in Baghdad bombings - Jun 16, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Two killed, 15 wounded in Iraq attacks - Dec 20, 2011
- One killed in sticky bomb attack in Iraq - Nov 21, 2011
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: al qaeda militants, bomb attacks, central iraq, council group, dramatic decrease, eastern province, insurgent groups, invasion of iraq, iraq baghdad, iraqi cities, ministry source, police source, roadside bomb, s industrial, sahwa, search operations, seven suspects, shiite shrines, sporadic attacks, wanted individuals