1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar’s plea dismissedJune 2nd, 2012 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) A Delhi court hearing a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar Saturday dismissed his plea that the CBI was not relying on some documents given by a complainant and key prosecution witness.
District Judge J.R. Aryan did not accept Sajjan Kumar’s plea related to complainant Jagdish Kaur.
“It is clear that without going into the wider question even a plain reading of Section 6 (Commissions of Inquiry Act) will prohibit the use of the previous statements at the trial either for the purposes of cross examination to contradict the witness or to impeach his credit,” said the judge.
The court was hearing the final arguments in a case against Sajjan Kumar and five others accused of inciting mobs against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
The Congress leader said that prosecutor R.S. Cheema July 12, 2010 made a statement in the court that affidavits of a witness in the case could not be used as they were contradictory.
The CBI opposed Sajjan Kumar’s plea and said it took objection in 2010 to Jagdish Kaur’s affidavits and statements, filed before the Ranganath Misra Commission and the G.T. Nanavati Commission, set up to probe the riots, but the accused had not said anything at that time.
The trial court, while framing charges against the accused, also relied on these documents, Sajjan Kumar said.
- Court seeks CBI's reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - May 15, 2012
- Court reserves order on Sajjan's plea - May 26, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- SC suspends Sajjan Kumar's trial in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: Court records Sajjan Kumar's statement - Jul 18, 2011
- Police kept eyes closed during 1984 riots, CBI tells court - Mar 31, 2012
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: affidavits, anti sikh riots, aryan, cbi, cheema, commissions of inquiry, complainant, congress leader, cross examination, delhi court, district judge, indira gandhi, inquiry act, jagdish, mobs, nanavati commission, prime minister indira, prosecution witness, ranganath, sikh community