1984 riots: No relief for Sajjan Kumar from high court (Lead)February 17th, 2010 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday adjourned by a day the hearing on Congress leader Sajjan Kumar’s plea seeking anticipatory bail in connection with the 1984 anti-Sikh riots till Thursday.
The Congress leader had challenged a trial court order rejecting his anticipatory bail application. He will now have to appear before a trial court later Wednesday afternoon and can be arrested any time, if required, by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Hearing seven bail applications, Justice S.L. Bayana granted stay on the arrest of two of the accused - Brahmanand and Peru.
The hearing on anticipatory bail plea of other five will take place Thursday.
Apprehending arrest, the former union minister had approached the high court Tuesday against the trial court order but had been denied an early hearing.
The CBI had filed a chargesheet against Sajjan Kumar and others in two cases related to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in the national capital.
Sajjan Kumar is among those accused of instigating mobs that killed over 3,000 Sikhs across Delhi in the days following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on Oct 31, 1984.
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- High court admits Sajjan Kumar's anticipatory bail plea - Feb 17, 2010
- 1984 riots: court issues warrant for Sajjan Kumar (Lead) - Feb 17, 2010
- High court refuses early hearing to Sajjan Kumar (Lead) - Feb 16, 2010
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- Police kept eyes closed during 1984 riots, CBI tells court - Mar 31, 2012
- Court to hear Sajjan Kumar's bail plea Wednesday (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2010
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Court reserves order on Sajjan Kumar's bail plea - Feb 22, 2010
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: High court rejects Sajjan Kumar's anticipatory bail plea - Feb 17, 2010
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: anti sikh riots, bail plea, cbi, central bureau of investigation, congress leader, delhi high court, indira gandhi, mobs, New Delhi, oct 31, peru, prime minister indira, sajjan kumar, sikhs, trial court, union minister, wednesday afternoon