1984 riots: CBI blames Sajjan Kumar for inciting mobApril 23rd, 2012 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Monday told a Delhi court hearing a case against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar related to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots that he was the main conspirator of inciting a mob.
Special Public Prosecutor R.S. Cheema said in the court of District Judge-cum-Additional Sessions Judge J.R. Aryan that the conspiracy to riot was well organised and backed by Sajjan Kumar and the police.
“There was a conspiracy of terrifying proportion with complicity of police and patronage of local MP Sajjan Kumar,” said Cheema.
The CBI told the court that Sajjan Kumar in a speech given at Raj Nagar in November 1984 said that “not a single Sikh should survive”.
The court would next hear the final arguments May 15.
The probe agency said that circumstances clearly signified that the conspiracy was hatched by the Congress leader.
The CBI said that police did not register a case in the riots case. The probe agency said earlier that police kept their eyes closed during the carnage.
The court was hearing the final arguments in a case against Sajjan Kumar and the other five accused of inciting mob against the Sikh community during the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Sajjan's acquittal in other riot cases due to no witnesses' - Apr 03, 2012
- Court observes two-minute silence for 1984 riots victims - Apr 03, 2012
- Police kept eyes closed during 1984 riots, CBI tells court - Mar 31, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Court seeks CBI's reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - May 15, 2012
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Court reserves order on Sajjan's plea - May 26, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: anti sikh riots, aryan, carnage, cbi, central bureau of investigation, cheema, complicity, congress leader, conspiracy, conspirator, delhi court, district judge, indira gandhi, mob, New Delhi, oct 31, patronage, prime minister indira, public prosecutor, sikh community