192 fined for post-final revelryApril 3rd, 2011 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) At least 192 people were fined for traffic violations as fans took to the streets in the national capital to celebrate India’s World Cup victory, police said Sunday.
“Total 192 were challaned (fined) Saturday night and early Sunday across the city. For drunken driving 102 were fined, 31 for dangerous driving and other offences,” said a senior police officer.
Special teams were deputed across the city to check violators after India won the match against Sri Lanka Saturday.
“We did not allow people to enter Connaught Place and India Gate inner-circle after 10.30 p.m. as on last Wednesday when India won against Pakistan in the semifinals, there was total traffic chaos,” said the officer.
“Temporary barricades were erected at several places. Woman cops were deputed to check eve-teasing incidents,” said the officer.
“About 620 bike-patrols were on duty,” said the officer.
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhi Police beefs up security ahead of New Year celebrations - Dec 31, 2010
- Delhi Traffic Police chief upset with VIP law breakers - Feb 07, 2011
- Holi revelers keep Delhi Police busy - Mar 12, 2009
- Delhi Police warn against drunk driving on New Year's Eve - Dec 29, 2011
- Delhi Police gears up to nab public tipplers - Apr 01, 2011
- Holi claims seven lives on Delhi roads - Mar 09, 2012
- Traffic violators must pay more: Delhi police chief - Jan 07, 2011
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Put end to drunken driving: Himachal high court - Oct 19, 2011
- Drunken driving cases have dropped drastically: Delhi Police - Dec 07, 2011
- Flipside of Anna's movement: Traffic violations galore - Aug 24, 2011
- Delhi cop robbed of seized bike by traffic violator - Jun 14, 2012
- Delhi's night riders stop-question-check, nab 90 criminals - Apr 20, 2011
- No mixing drinking and driving, revellers warned - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: 192, barricades, bike patrols, connaught place, eve, india gate, inner circle, match, New Delhi, pakistan, police officer, revelry, saturday night, sri lanka, traffic chaos, traffic violations, violators, woman cops, world cup victory