1,855 bonded labourers released: MinisterMarch 6th, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) Banned by law nearly 32 years ago, bonded labour is still in practice in India and the government has released 1,855 such labourers from various states, according to official data. The data suggests that the evil is practised in a majority of north-western states, notwithstanding the Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, 1976.
Minister of State of Labour and Employment Oscar Fernandes Wednesday informed the Rajya Sabha in a written reply that respectively 157, 150 and 88 bonded labourers were rescued and rehabilitated in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal up to Dec 31 2007.
For their rehabilitation, the government provides financial assistance in case of an adult, while the child labour is sent to juvenile home.
Except Karnataka, from where 64 bonded labourers were released and rehabilitated in 2004-05, no such figure is available for other southern states, suggesting that bonded labour was completely abolished there, the minister said.
In 2004-05, the minister said, 866 bonded labourers were rescued from Bihar, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and Uttar Pradesh.
Fernandes, replying to a question from Jai Prakash Aggarwal of the Congress, informed the house that 397 bonded labourers were rescued from Bihar, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal in 2005-06.
In 2006-07, 197 bonded labourers were rescued from Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, he said.
- Child labour declining: government - Jul 27, 2010
- Improve child labourers' rehabilitation, court tells Delhi - Jan 12, 2011
- 11 killed, 88 abducted by Maoists till April - Apr 26, 2012
- Madhya Paradesh claims 12 percent fall in poverty - Mar 21, 2012
- Bihar's per capita income lowest, Delhi's highest - Aug 22, 2011
- 42 child labourers rescued in Delhi, Punjab - Jun 07, 2011
- No rehabilitation for 95 percent of rescued child labourers - Jan 25, 2011
- Maharashtra dominate opening day of National sub-junior basketball - May 08, 2012
- 26 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 25, 2011
- NGO launches action week before child labour day - Jun 09, 2010
- Eight states account for 193 million poor - Aug 19, 2010
- Post-poll: weak national parties, strong regional ones (Comment) - May 21, 2011
- A bid to eradicate child labour in Karnataka homes - Jul 01, 2009
- Planning Commission hiding Indian poverty: CPI-M - Mar 20, 2012
- 3 lakh passengers, 300 trains stranded in eight states (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012