18-year-old runner dies during half marathonJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 3 (IANS) An 18-year-old runner died and two others fell ill while running a half marathon in Odisha’s Jagatsinghpur district Tuesday, police said.
Eighteen-year-old Pravakar Behera collapsed while running, district superintendent of police S.S. Dev Datta Singh told IANS. Two other runners were taken to the local hospital after they developed breathlessness, he said.
Police have sent the body for autopsy to determine the exact cause of the death, Singh said. The authorities have announced a compensation of Rs.1.50 lakh for the bereaved family.
About 500 runners participated in the 21-km running event organized by the Paradip Port Trust at Paradip, about 120 km from here, on the occasion of the golden jubilee celebration of the port’s foundation day.
- 11 injured in IFFCO silo collapse in Odisha - Feb 20, 2012
- Police hunt for contractor in Posco violence - Dec 19, 2011
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- MoEF expert team visits Posco plant site in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Expert team to submit report on Posco by October - Aug 23, 2012
- Biplav Kumar takes charge as Paradip Port Trust chairman - Jul 01, 2010
- Anti-Posco stir hots up in Orissa - Jun 11, 2011
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- Posco seeks lifting of curbs on project site entry - Mar 02, 2012
- Paradip Port sets record in manual iron ore handling - Dec 14, 2010
- Woman kills alcoholic husband in Odisha - Jul 23, 2012
- Manipuri militant held in Odisha port town - May 29, 2012
- Six Myanmar nationals detained in Orissa - Aug 14, 2010
- Maoists blast police vehicle, three die - Jan 05, 2012
- No tribal dwellers in Posco project site, says Orissa - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: authorities, autopsy, bereaved family, bhubaneswar, datta, district superintendent, exact cause, foundation day, golden jubilee celebration, lakh, local hospital, odisha, paradip port trust, rs 1, runners, running a half marathon