18 wickets crash in Railways-Saurashtra Ranji matchDecember 21st, 2011 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) Saurashtra claimed eight Railways wickets for 71 runs after being dismissed for 175 in their first innings as 18 wickets crashed in 86.1 overs on the opening day of their Elite Division Group A Ranji Trophy match at the Karnail Singh Stadium here Wednesday.
On a cold, blustery day, Saurashtra chose to bat first on a lively pitch, but none of their batsmen could get going despite getting a start. Spinner Ashish Yadav claimed four wickets.
Railways’ plight was worse with Ravindra Jadeja, who made 28, proving unplayable. The left-arm spinner took six wickets for 22 runs in 8.1 overs.
At Mumbai, hosts’ debutant medium-pacer Balwinder Singh Sandhu (Jr) wrecked Punjab’s top order with his swing bowling, but the lower order gave the score a decent look with Bipul Sharma making 68 with five fours and three sixes. Punjab were zero for two, 33 for four and 106 for 7 before the tail helped Bipul resurrect the innings.
Stuart Binny continued his good work the bat scoring an unbeaten 86 as Karnataka ended the first day at 300 for seven against Uttar Pradesh at Shimoga. Bharat Chipli weighed in with 51.
Vineet Saxena (74) and Hrishikesh Kanitkar (64) took holders Rajasthan to 209 for three in the first innings against Orissa at Jaipur.
In Chennai, India discard Murali Vijay scored 83, Kaushik Gandhi 80 and Dinesh Karthik bating 60 as Tamil Nadu ended the first day at 294 for four against Madhya Pradesh.
In the plate division semi-finals, Vidarbha were helped by former India opener Shiv Sundar Das (64) and Shalabh Srivasatava (83) to reach 225 for five against Hyderabad at Nagpur, while Nikhil Paradkar (80) and Ankit Bawane (batting 56) carried Maharashtra to 232 for four against Himachal Pradesh at Pune.
At Shimoga: Karnataka 300 for 7 in 90 overs (K B Pawan 40, Bharat Chipli 51, Stuart Binny batting 86, Muralidharan Gautam 25, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar 2/72, Imtiaz Ahmed 3/73) vs Uttar Pradesh
At Mumbai: Punjab 226 in 77.2 overs (Mayank Sidhana 34, Bipul Sharma 68, Balwinder Sandhu 5/66, Kshemal Waingankar 3/80) Mumbai 22 for no loss in 10 overs.
At New Delhi: Saurashtra 175 in 66.2 overs (Sheldon Jackson 39, Jaydev Shah 26, Ravindra Jadeja 28, Arlen Konwar 2/35, Sanjay Bangar 2/19, Ashish Yadav 4/35) Railways 71 for 8 in 19.5 overs (Mahesh Rawat 31, Ravindra Jadeja 6 for 22, Kamlesh Makwana 2 for 32).
At Jaipur: Rajasthan 209 FOR 3 IN 90 OVERS (Vineet Saxena 74, Hrishikesh Kanitkar 64, Rashmi Parida batting 25) vs Orisssa.
At Baroda: Baroda 284 in 88 overs (Aditya Waghmode 62, Rajesh Solanki 73, Pinal Shah 30, Irfan Pathan 42, Ashok Dinda 5/96, Sourav Ganguly 2/1) vs Bengal.
At Surat: Haryana 207 in 74.2 overs (Rahul Dewan 26, Sunny Singh 69, Amit Mishra 25, Jayant Yadav 26, Ishwar Chaudhury 3/50, Ashraf Makda 2/23, Mehul Patel 4/59) Gujarat 46 for 1.
At Chennai: Tamil Nadu 294 for 4 in 90 overs (Murali Vijay 83, Kaushik Gandhi 80, Subramanian Badrinath 32, Dinesh Karthik batting 60, Amarjeet Singh 2/79) vs Madhya Pradesh.
Plate Division (semi-finals):
At Nagpur: Vidarbha 225 for 5 in 90 overs (Shiv Sundar Das 64, Shalabh Srivastava 83, Hemang Badani 40, Pagadala Naidu 2/47).
At Pune: Maharashtra 232 for 4 in 91 overs (Harshad Khadwale 25, Sangram Dilip Atitkar 40, Nikhil Paradkar 80, Ankit Bawane batting 56) vs Himachal Pradesh.
- Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra well placed against Railways - Dec 22, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Ravindra Jadeja strikes triple ton against Orissa - Nov 04, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi take slender lead against MP - Dec 07, 2011
- Buchi Babu cricket: Jadeja claims 8 as batsmen make merry - Aug 23, 2011
- Sudhindra's seven-wicket haul puts Madhya Pradesh on top - Dec 15, 2011
- Buchi Babu cricket: Karnataka, Baroda make merry - Aug 20, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Kanitkar's ton against Mumbai; Baroda dismiss MP for 63 - Nov 10, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary hit unbeaten tons - Nov 03, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Railways win by over innings against UP - Dec 08, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi bowled out for 212 against Tamil Nadu - Nov 17, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi fightback against MP - Dec 06, 2011
- Double century by Niraj Patel; tons by Tanmay, Mukund, Rayudu - Nov 11, 2011
- Rajasthan hand Hyderabad innings defeat (Ranji Trophy round-up) - Nov 03, 2010
- Mumbai check Rajasthan in Shafi Darashah cricket - Aug 06, 2012
- Ranji Trophy quarters: Haryana's Harshal Patel takes eight wickets - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: ankit, binny, blustery day, chennai india, dinesh karthik, division group, elite division, four wickets, imtiaz ahmed, jadeja, medium pacer, muralidharan, nagpur, orissa, ranji trophy, saxena, singh sandhu, sundar, swing bowling, yadav