18 trafficked children rescued in DelhiOctober 3rd, 2008 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 3 (IANS) Acting on a cue by an NGO, police and labour department officials raided embroidery units here and rescued 18 children who fell victim to human trafficking.The raids, which happened earlier this week, rescued the boys from embroidery units in Saraswati Vihar and Aman Vihar in north west Delhi, Umesh Kumar Gupta of the NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA), which provided the information to the police, said Friday.
The dingy and suffocating units had been the children’s home for the past one and a half years.
“The rescued children hail from Sitamarhi district of Bihar and were brought to Delhi by middlemen who paid Rs.500-1,000 to their parents and promised them a bright future for their kids,” Gupta told IANS.
Bundled together in tiny rooms, the boys, aged between eight and 14, were made to work for long hours with little pay and punished at the drop of a hat.
Gupta said the children have been kept in the BBA’s shelter home and are waiting to be taken back home.
“These kids will be given their release certificates later Friday and rehabilitated under the Bonded Labour System Abolition Act. They will be given a rehabilitation amount of Rs. 360,000,” he said.
- 26 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 25, 2011
- 50 child labourers rescued from ornament industry units - Dec 09, 2009
- 39 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 26, 2011
- No rehabilitation for 95 percent of rescued child labourers - Jan 25, 2011
- 42 child labourers rescued in Delhi, Punjab - Jun 07, 2011
- 26 child workers rescued in Delhi - Feb 15, 2011
- 25 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Mar 09, 2011
- 20 child labourers rescued in Delhi - May 10, 2011
- 36 child labourers rescued in Delhi - Apr 19, 2011
- Children toil away as India observes day against child labour (June 12 is World Day Against Child Labour) - Jun 11, 2010
- 15 bonded child labourers rescued in Delhi - Oct 23, 2009
- Six units employing child labourers sealed, 20 held - Mar 24, 2011
- 35 bonded child labourers rescued in Delhi - Oct 08, 2009
- 29 child labourers rescued from Delhi - Jul 15, 2011
- Police arrest child killer employer - Apr 21, 2011