18 tableaux to showcase India’s diversity on Republic DayJanuary 21st, 2009 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) Be it the folk culture of Mithila, the Gair dance of Rajasthan or the fauna of the Kaziranga and Ranthambore national parks — all this and more will be on display as 18 tableaux roll down Rajpath during the Jan 26 Republic Day parade to showcase vibrant India’s rich cultural diversity. “The tableaux will showcase India’s amazing diversity and rich cultural heritage,” a defence ministry official told reporters here Wednesday even as artisans from across the country were engaged in giving last minute touches to the floats.
The tableaux comprise 12 from different Indian states and six from the central government’s ministries and departments. Their number, however, has been reduced from last year’s 26 to accommodate the larger number of gallantry award winners who will receive their medals from President Pratibha Patil before the start of the parade.
Still, there will be something for everyone. Each tableau depicts its own story to portray themes varying from industrial progress to national heritage and from traditional art and culture to legendary personalities.
The Jammu and Kashmir tableau focuses on tourism. It portrays a monastery of Ladakh, as also a group of mask dancers and a luxurious houseboat. The Kud dance prevalent in the mountain ranges of Jammu will form a part of the tableau.
While the Bihar tableau showcases the folk culture of Mithila, Tripura’s tableau will recreate the magic of dexterous handicrafts made out of bamboo.
The importance of the Pooram festival celebrated in Kerala is shown on the state’s float.
The natural beauty of Ranthambore will be recreated on the Rajasthan tableau, with the Gair folk dance providing a contrast.
According to Prem Kumar, one of the dancers, “we came here on January 9 and have been rehearsing since then”. Pointing to his costume, which weighs around 10 kg, he said: “We have to perform in a circular motion wearing this.”
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is participating in the parade for the first time.
“Our tableau displays various aspects of disaster management, including pre and post-disaster situations and the ways to handle them,” NDMA official R.K. Sinha told IANS
Apart from NDMA, the ministries of railways, power and micro, small and medium enterprises, besides the Department of Science and Technology and the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) will also showcase their activities during the parade.
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Indian culture, military might unfold at R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Poll panel showcases ballot power in R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Air Force adjudged best marching contingent in Republic Day Parade - Jan 30, 2011
- IAF, ITBP adjudged best contingents at Republic Day parade - Jan 30, 2011
- Kashmiri folk culture comes alive at R-Day - Jan 26, 2011
- Sangeet Natak Akademi had best tableau at R-Day parade - Jan 29, 2010
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- CW Games, Mumbai's dabbawalas, Kumbh Mela - all at R-Day parade - Jan 22, 2010
- India Day Parade fills New York with its sights, sounds and stars - Aug 20, 2012
- India's Islamic, Buddhist heritage on display - Jan 26, 2011
- Applause for Lavani dancers at parade - Jan 26, 2011
- Remembering Tagore twice over at R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- R-Day tableau displays Kashmir's oneness, architectural heritage - Jan 26, 2012
- Dogra, CRPF adjudged best marching contingents for RD parade 2010 - Jan 30, 2010