18 militants killed in army operation in PakistanAugust 30th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 30 (IANS) At least 18 militants were killed on Thursday during an operation conducted by security forces in Pakistan’s northwestern Bajaur tribal region, reports said.
Local media quoted security forces as saying that two commanders of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were also killed during the operation, reported Xinhua.
These clashes between security forces and militants started a week ago when dozens of unknown militants from Afghanistan attacked Pakistani security forces in the Bajaur Agency, bordering Afghanistan.
Local people told media that huge casualties on both sides were feared as heavy weapons were used in the clashes.
Security forces also speed up the search operation in border areas of Batwar, Kambili and Tendo Dak in Salarzai Tehsil of the agency.
An official from the area told local Urdu TV channel Dawn News that security forces and volunteer local fighters had been targeting suspected militant hideouts in hilly areas with artillery and other automatic weapons besides using gunship helicopters as the militants were offering stiff resistance.
The security forces had also captured three important positions held by the militants and destroyed dozens of their hideouts, the official said.
The tribal sources told media that many families had been stranded in the affected areas while some had left homes before the clashes.
Earlier on Wednesday, at least six militants were reportedly killed and three security personnel injured during fighting in parts of Salarzai area of Bajaur agency.
In another incident on Wednesday, at least nine Pakistani soldiers and 10 militants were killed during clashes that started after some unidentified militants attacked a security check post in the country’s northwest tribal area of South Waziristan.
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- 33 militants killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- 34 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Eight killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- 20 militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- 10 soldiers, 40 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Jan 31, 2012
- Five suspected militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 06, 2012
- 9 securitymen, 15 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Oct 17, 2011
- Taliban leader among 29 killed in Pakistan - May 03, 2010
- 50 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 08, 2011
- 7 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 10, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- 4 security men killed in Pakistan rocket attack - Nov 05, 2011
- Eight killed in Pakistan blast (Second Lead) - May 28, 2011
Tags: army operation, automatic weapons, bajaur agency, border areas, dawn news, gunship, hideouts, hilly areas, pakistan islamabad, pakistani soldiers, search operation, security check, security forces, south waziristan, stiff resistance, tehsil, tribal area, tribal sources, ttp, xinhua