18 killed in Kolkata bus mishapApril 4th, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, April 4 (IANS) At least 18 people were killed when a private bus plunged into a canal in northeastern Kolkata Friday. At least 18 bodies were fished out. The bus had around 50 passengers. Several of the injured were taken to hospital in critical condition.
Tapas Chatterjee, chairman of Rajarhat Municipality under Kolkata’s adjoining North 24 Parganas district, told IANS: “Eighteen bodies were recovered while many in critical condition were taken to hospital.”
“The accident occurred when the brake of the vehicle failed as the driver was trying to overtake another bus,” he said.
The bus has been pulled out of water with the help of two cranes. Divers from the Disaster Management Group reached the spot to check if there were more passengers trapped.
Chatterjee said though the identities of the passengers were yet to be confirmed, most could be residents of adjoining Rajarhat and Pagladanga.
The injured passengers have been admitted to the Charnok, Swastik, Uma and Apex nursing homes.
General manager of Apex Nursing Home Shaibal Sen told IANS: “Three of the 11 injured admitted here, including three children and a woman, are in critical condition. Seven died here of serious head injuries and water in their lungs.”
- 20 killed in Kolkata bus mishap - Apr 04, 2008
- Twenty injured in Kashmir road accident - Feb 27, 2012
- Ambulance rams into bus, four killed - Feb 02, 2012
- 12 dead, 50 injured as bus overturns in Bengal (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Five killed in Bengal road accident - Dec 03, 2010
- 4 injured in Trinamool-CPI-M clash, 6 held - Feb 28, 2012
- Dozen Tamil Nadu pilgrims hurt - May 10, 2012
- Afghanistan: At least 53 killed after bus crashes head-on with tanker in Ghazni - Sep 17, 2012
- Eight people killed in Jharkhand road accident - Jul 06, 2012
- 12 pilgrims killed in Bengal accident - Oct 21, 2011
- Three die in Bengal road accident - Jul 07, 2011
- Nine killed in West Bengal bus accident (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- Six kanwarias killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 06, 2010
- 16 more infants die in Bengal, toll rises to 28 - Oct 28, 2011